• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving unregistered vehicle - on way home from DMV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

porkchopexpress

What is the name of your state? NY

I was on the way home from the DMV, transferring the registration and plates over to a new car I would be picking up a couple hours later. I had pulled into a junk yard to confirm they would buy my junk car i was driving, then headed home. An unmarked car pulled me over because he "saw that you(me) werent wearing a seat belt." He then saw I had just come from the DMV and said this car was no longer registered.

He was a real prick about it too, said he was "doing me a favor" because he said he could have written me up for it being uninsured (even though it still was) and constantly threatened to have it towed. I told him I was planning on junking it anyway, and he threatened me not to give him any more attitude, that he would "remember this next time". Next time? what are they following me around?

Anyway, I got a ticket for no seatbelt (I have also heard they cannot pull you over for a seatbelt infraction alone, they have to spot something else first, then add on the seatbelt ticket if they notice it, is this true?) and driving an unregistered vehicle, although the time stamps from my registration to my ticket were no less than 15 minutes apart. Any way I can fight this, I think its a total BS thing because the cop was in a bad mood.

A

absconder

What are you going to fight either you were wearing the belt or not, the car was registered or it wasnt. No inbetweens there that I can see. Was the cop lying?..........You can plead not guilty and the what if the cop doesnt show but how do you explain to the judge that your not guilty?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">