• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving at Unsafe speed violation after an accident.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kxh269

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have two questions that I need help with. I was recently involved in a car accident in PA during a snow storm where the roads were snowy and icy. I was changing lane from the left to the right when I hit a patch of ice and then hit a guard rail. I cannot remember the speed I was traveling at the time do to the shock of the accident. The officer was no way near the accident site at the time and did not witness any of it. When he finally arrived at the scene he wrote up a report, but he never told me he was going to issue me a citation, Instead I received a citation for driving at safe speed in the mail 2 days later. I pleaded not guilty to the charge and is awaiting my court date.

So my questions are:

Does PA officers have to tell you that they're giving you a citation at the scene?

Also if I have a shot at winning this "driving at safe speed" citation?

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

racer72

Does PA officers have to tell you that they're giving you a citation at the scene?
No.

Also if I have a shot at winning this "driving at safe speed" citation?
Don't you mean driving at an unsafe speed? In either case, if you were driving a speed based on the road conditions, you never would have crashed. I seriously doubt you have a chance to win. I would suggest negotiating a reduced violation and/or penalty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">