• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving while license revoked?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

svevans75

I'm a NC resident. I have a prior DWI conviction. I was charged in Aug. 2004, and convicted in Jan. 2005 of a Level 5 DWI. Did ADETS, paid a small fine, wrote a book report, had a limited privilege, not a terribly big deal. Back in November of 2007, I made the bonehead decision to drive drunk. I'm guilty, it's garden variety, lawful stop, odor of alcohol, I consented to breathalizer...yada, yada. But my question relates to a driving while license revoked charge that accompanied the DWI charge.

The officer charged me with DWLR because I violated the BAC restriction of 0.04, a consequence of the prior DWI.

I have an excellent lawyer. He's an excellent "trial lawyer," but I'm not sure he's giving me my money's worth with some of the technical aspects of the law. Since I'm a researcher for a living, I've dug around a bit and here's what i discovered.

20-19(c3) applies to a violation of a BAC restriction. It gives DMV authority to suspend license for a year for a violation. This, however, is a civil revocation, and there's nothing to indicate that there should be a criminal charge of DWLR. The NC legislature, in fact, has gone to great length to specify when a DWLR charge does apply. For example, any violation of a "limited driving privilege" constitutes DWLR [20-179.3(j)], and a violation of the ignitition interlock requirement also is a DWLR [20-17.8(f)]. I even found an old 2001 enforcement chart issued by the Dept. of Justice to local law enforcement divisions, which says a violation of BAC restriction constitutes driving without a license (NOL), which is essentially the same as violating a eyeglasses restriction. The statutes, as they pertain to BAC restrictions and violations, have not changed since they were originally adopted back in 1999, I believe.

So, has the enforcement of this provision changed? This is important for me because it plays into what level sentence I'll have. It will likely factor in to whether I have 1 or 2 grossly aggravated factors. If I'm guilty of DWLR, it's necessary an "impaired driving revocation." Doesn't make sense to me. My license wasn't suspended, it was restored in Jan. 2006, with a restriction. Am I correct that the officer made the incorrect charge of DWLR for a violation of a BAC restriction?

Any advice is appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">