• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving while license suspended 1st offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwalt

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My license was suspended after failing to pay my final Driver Responsability Fee for driving with no insurance a few years ago. I was pulled over and given a ticket for driving with a suspended license. These two violations are the only ones I have ever had. I haven't been to court before. (Not an experience I care to repeat either) I was wondering what I might expect for fines, etc.? Also, I was curious about the kinds of questions from the officer. Is it normal for them to ask me who i live with, where i work, why i'm not working? I haven't had a lot of experiences with law enforcement so I was just curious. Thank you.

gawm

It will be much better for you if you go and get your license reinstated before your court date. you can do that by paying that drivers responsibility ticket at the court and then go down to the DMV and pay a reinstatement fee.

LawAbiding

poohmantbb said:
????????????????????????????????????? - Well, have you or haven't you experienced court before?
Just a hunch, but they probably meant that they wouldn't want to repeat going to court over and over again (or even more than once).

justalayman

kwalt said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My license was suspended after failing to pay my final Driver Responsability Fee for driving with no insurance a few years ago. I was pulled over and given a ticket for driving with a suspended license. These two violations are the only ones I have ever had. I haven't been to court before. (Not an experience I care to repeat either) I was wondering what I might expect for fines, etc.? Also, I was curious about the kinds of questions from the officer. Is it normal for them to ask me who i live with, where i work, why i'm not working? I haven't had a lot of experiences with law enforcement so I was just curious. Thank you.
Not sure if they have changed things since my dumb little brother got caught driving while suspended but at that time there was MANDATORY jail time. There were no discretionary actions available to the judge.

It was a short incarceration (3 weekends or 3 days on the weekends, one of those two I believe)

fairisfair

from Michigan law site
Question
When caught driving on a suspended license, what are fines and is jail time required?
Answer
1st. offense driving while license suspended has a maximum fine of $500.00 and a maximum 93 days in jail. The court can always sentence the offender to less than the maximums.

and most likely, with out history, you will receive the lesser penalties

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">