• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving while suspended-VA reinstatement fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nscv

What is the name of your state? VA

Hello,

I was pulled over in VA (I live in WV) in the middle of the night. When they checked my license, they officers told me it was suspended. I told them that I had paid the fine for the speeding ticket years ago. They asked if I had paid VA reinstatement fee. I didn't know anything about a reinstatement fee. It wasn't on the ticket or anything. And I didn't get anything in the mail about a reinstatement fee.
Now I am scheduled to go to court for Driving While Suspended. What do I do? Should I get an attorney? Should I go and just plead guilty? Will I be able to tell the judge about not knowing? I paid the ticket and court costs, I would have paid the reinstatement fee too if I had known about it. So, what should I do?

Thank you in advance,

nscv

Even if you were suspended and were able to get youre License back, Most States require that you pay a drivers license reinstatment fee. This has to be paid or The Department of Motor Vehicles via computer will still show up to Law Enforcement as a Suspended drivers License.

You should go to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the State where you were living at the time. Pay the fee and you will be reinstated.

Once you have paid the fee and have and are eligable for the reinstement, take the Citation to the court where the officer has cited you in with proof of having the License and record of paying. Most courts will drop the citation after you have taken care of the fee and have proof of paying and having the license in possession. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">