• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Without License Among Others......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmack

California, I was recently pulled over for driving without a license 12500(A) VC, and I wanted to know if I had any legal alternatives other than pleading guilty to the misdemeanor charge. :( I was also ticketed for driving without insurance and driving with headlights of at night. I wanted to know if pleading no contest instead of pleading guilty would help in any future criminal background check? :confused: The final thing I was curious about is if their is any possibility of lowering the misdemeanor charge to an infraction? :(

racer72

TWWWEEET. Penalty on jmack, abuse of smilies. Buy a bus pass, quit driving, and see a local attorney immediatly. Tickets like these are rarely lowered to lesser offenses due to the obvious intent of break the law. An attorney can help lessen the hit you will take.

CdwJava

jmack said:
California, I was recently pulled over for driving without a license 12500(A) VC, and I wanted to know if I had any legal alternatives other than pleading guilty to the misdemeanor charge. :( I was also ticketed for driving without insurance and driving with headlights of at night. I wanted to know if pleading no contest instead of pleading guilty would help in any future criminal background check? :confused: The final thing I was curious about is if their is any possibility of lowering the misdemeanor charge to an infraction? :(
I think you meant "...driving withOUT headlights at night ..."

Most the time a first offense for CVC 12500(a) will be filed as an infraction. However, this can vary by county. But rarely is a DA's office going to waste time in court trying a first offender for a low level misdemeanor.

A no contest plea is effectively the same thing as a guilty plea. How they effect a future background check depends on what kind of check is being done, why it is being done, who is doing it, and whether you were charged for the offense as a misdemeanor or not.

These cites will cost you quite a penny. Get your money together and buy a bicycle - you're going to be a pedestrian.

- Carl

jmack

Actually on the ticket the misdemeanor offense check box is marked. Do I have any way to have the judge possibly lower the charge to an infraction? BTW, No pedestrian jokes please.

CdwJava

jmack said:
Actually on the ticket the misdemeanor offense check box is marked. Do I have any way to have the judge possibly lower the charge to an infraction? BTW, No pedestrian jokes please.
The judge probably won't, but the DA might. It depends on the county. In my county the DA will file all first time 12500 cites as an infraction. Where I used to work in southern Calif. they would also regularly file 12500 cites as infractions as well - this was to keep the courts from getting too clogged.

Your court may be the same.

- Carl

saul

Driving Without Ever Having A Permit

I made a very stupid decision to take my dads car and drive at night when i dont even have a permit. I was pulled over and cited for an infraction, and do to 3 previous possesion of marijuana charges ( on a school campus 602wic/1136(e)H&s) I had actuallly had my license suspended untill i turned 17 (im 16 now). Luckily the citation was an infraction but i have a pending marijuana charge, will my liscence be suspended untill the age of 21? I live in simi valley CA (ventura county district)

CdwJava

saul said:
I made a very stupid decision to take my dads car and drive at night when i dont even have a permit. I was pulled over and cited for an infraction, and do to 3 previous possesion of marijuana charges ( on a school campus 602wic/1136(e)H&s) I had actuallly had my license suspended untill i turned 17 (im 16 now). Luckily the citation was an infraction but i have a pending marijuana charge, will my liscence be suspended untill the age of 21? I live in simi valley CA (ventura county district)
You license will be suspended for at least one additional year if convicted. I might be inclined to look up the details if you start your own thread.

Start your own thread - please do not hijack old ones.

- Carl

saul

sorry carl im really new to this and im not sure how, do you think you could please help me out by looking it up i would really appreciate it

thnx alot

saul

gawm

jmack said:
If you get your license reinstated and get some insurance and talk to the prosecutor, they might work with you. I got caught driving without insurance, registration and on a suspended license. I talked with an attorney and he wanted $1500. The fines alone were $2000. I got my license reinstated got the registration up to date and got insurance. I went to court, talked with the prosecutor, he was surprised and said most people don't get those things taken care of before court. He dropped the charges down to not having my license with me and not having my registration card in the car. Both civil fines and I only had to pay $200. You may or may not get this lucky. I do believe things will Turn out better for you if you get your things taken care of beforehand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">