• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving without a license in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ELW

:confused:I’m 16 living in California and only have a driving permit. I got caught driving without a license (no adult in the car) and driving without the headlights on in Contra Costa County, my court date is set for June. Can I still try to get my license before my court date? I’m expecting once I go to court I wont be allowed to drive until I’m 18, but if I don’t get my license now I will need to apply for a another permit at 18 and then take the driving test, my 18th birthday is in September so I should be leaving for college at that time and not sure how I can make that work. My thought is if I get it now, before it’s suspended in June, when I turn 18 will be ready to “legally” drive. Also, if I get it now, will it still be the same consequences in court, a “suspended license”? Or can I be charged differently? Thanks for any advice. California

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
:confused:I’m 16 living in California and only have a driving permit. I got caught driving without a license (no adult in the car) and driving without the headlights on in Contra Costa County, my court date is set for June. Can I still try to get my license before my court date? I’m expecting once I go to court I wont be allowed to drive until I’m 18, but if I don’t get my license now I will need to apply for a another permit at 18 and then take the driving test, my 18th birthday is in September so I should be leaving for college at that time and not sure how I can make that work. My thought is if I get it now, before it’s suspended in June, when I turn 18 will be ready to “legally” drive. Also, if I get it now, will it still be the same consequences in court, a “suspended license”? Or can I be charged differently? Thanks for any advice. California
You don't need a "permit" to get your license once you hit 18.
Getting your license now won't change the fact that you were unlicensed at the time of the offense. Being a minor is actually going to hurt you more than it helps in this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">