• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving without a seatbelt on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monifa

What is the name of your state? NYC

I was stopped and ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt, I would like to contest this ticket does anyone have any ideas about possible defense strategies.

Litigation!

monifa said:

I would like to contest this ticket

My response:

Why?

And, while we and this writer ponder an answer, I think we should all take a "chuckle break" and read this one . . .

consentingadult
Junior Member Join Date: Feb 2006

A single mother has asked for my help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? Michigan

A single friend of mine has asked for my help in her daughter's upbringing. Not having a father-figure around, she's looking for someone to show the kid the basics of condom use, et cetera.

I'm 27, mom is 34, daughter is 11.

Should I assist? Run screaming the other way? Get a signed consent form? Go to a real lawyer?
While funny in an of itself, that post would have been a lot better and funnier if it came out of, say, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, or any of the other Dufus States.

IAAL

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
monifa said:

I was stopped and ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt, I would like to contest this ticket does anyone have any ideas about possible defense strategies.
I think your only defense would be photographic proof that you were ACTUALLY WEARING YOUR SEATBELT!

Pay it - move on

You Are Guilty

Nonsense!

Poster, don't listen to all these awful meanies. They don't know what they're talking about. As a resident of NYC myself, I know just how unfair seatbelt tickets are and I too fight them (I get around 7-8 per week on average, plus about 6 speeding tickets, 4 illegal turn tickets, 3 cell phone tickets, 2 tint tickets and the occassional DWI).

The secret to fighting them is simple, and it's written directly in the statute. In order to be guilty, you must be driving a car newer than:
NY VTL s.383 said:
(a) A motor vehicle manufactured or assembled after June thirtieth,
nineteen hundred sixty-four and designated as a 1965 or later model, at
least two safety belts for the front seat;
(b) A motor vehicle manufactured or assembled after June thirtieth,
nineteen hundred sixty-six and designated as a 1967 or later model, at
least one safety belt for the rear seat for each passenger for which the
rear seat of such vehicle was designed;
(c) A motor vehicle manufactured or assembled on or after January
first, nineteen hundred sixty-eight, at least one safety belt for each
passenger seat position.
So, say you were to take your registration card, erase the last two digits on the car's model year, and change, for example, your 1993 Acura Legend into a 1953 Acura Legend, and viola! No one will ever figure it out, it's foolproof! This "trick" also works with improper display of plate tickets, double parking tickets, mortgage foreclosures, credit card debt consolidation and deportation proccedings.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">