• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Without Valid License - Unpaid Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OompaLoompa

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I got pulled over two days ago at 9.30pm for a busted TAG light. I was just about to leave a parking lot. The cop was behind me in an unmarked car. Apparently he had seen me get in the car (I was leaving the gym), turn the car on, and saw the tag light wasn't working - ran my tag through his database and found one unpaid speeding ticket which meant suspended license. He pulled me over. Writes me up for driving without a valid licence, doesn't take me to jail though because I'm 'cooperative and I have to work tomorrow morning'. Ok.

So now I check online what driving without a valid license means, and I get scared ****less. Up to 60 days in jail???? I need help now. My court date is scheduled a month from now.

I have no previous history whatsoever, I'm a non-immigrant alien on a student visa, I'm a 3.5GPA student (engineering), Army ROTC cadet (non-scholarship, non-contracted), I have a fulltime job as an engineer, I've never ever clashed with the law. Do I need a lawyer? Do I plead guilty?

Thanks.
Umpalumpa

racer72

Very simple. Take care of the previously unpaid speeding ticket, get your driver's license reinstated then show up at court on the specified date. The judge will note your compliance and probably drop the DWL ticket, you pay a small fine and you are on your way. Do nothing and you could be looking at 6 months in jail.

OompaLoompa

racer72 said:
Very simple. Take care of the previously unpaid speeding ticket, get your driver's license reinstated then show up at court on the specified date. The judge will note your compliance and probably drop the DWL ticket, you pay a small fine and you are on your way. Do nothing and you could be looking at 6 months in jail.
Done. Ticket was paid yesterday, I just got my drivers license reinstated today. No need for a lawyer? No need to negotiate with the prosecutor beforehand?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">