• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drving without a license in New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tom321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I had no knowledge i had any problem with the state of New Jersey until this morning. I was never served, never saw or signed any ticket/summons/court order/whatever you call it. I wasn't even in the state the supposed incident occurred in.

I went on a trip to Canada with my brother last year and forgot to take my passport from the glove compartment of the vehicle after we returned home. My brother a few weeks later got pulled over for speeding in New Jersey and instead of presenting the officer with his drivers license the idiot handed him my passport. The officer who had to be either blind or drinking on the job because we don't look anything alike then proceeded to write the ticket under my name which he also spelled wrong.

Like i said i had no knowledge of any of this and never signed anything. My brother says he paid both tickets but the driving without a license one required a court appearance. He claims he showed up but they wanted me there since my name was on the ticket. Since i wasn't present in court on that date they apparently have issued a warrant for my arrest. In order to prove to me he showed up because i don't trust him at all, he showed me a court document in which he forged my signature on a confession. He claims he tried to have the charges amended onto his name. If you haven't yet figured it out, the kid is a complete friggin idiot and the beating he took an hour ago has probably made him even stupider.

I really do want to go clear this up because I'm a stand up law-biding citizen but I don't have the time for it. The courthouse location is really out of my way and work is piling up with extreme pressure. I called up the courthouse and they said i have to turn myself in and post bail. Then i have to come back for the court date. I simply cannot afford to take the days off required to settle this matter. My records in New York state are clean as a whistle, not even a parking ticket. This matter is over a year old now and since then i have been issued both a new license and passport (old ones had expired). I was also recently able to leave the country and re-enter with no problems. I also have no business in New Jersey other than an occasional football game at the Meadowlands and i will most definitely not be driving. The warrant is listed under another name. The officer misspelled my last name and left a letter off my first name so im assuming this is why i haven't run into any trouble. Is that a safe assumption? should i be worried?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for taking the time to respond.

I really do appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">