+ Reply to Thread
    nikkib150 is offline Junior Member

DUS 1st offense.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Dakota

I got a DUS and I had no idea that my license was even suspended. I got brought to jail, and was booked, bu I never had my miranda rights read to me. I go to court in a couple weeks and I don't know what to do. I called the DMV and was told I had unpaid speeding ticket from 2 years ago and the state suspended my license because of it. What do I do when I get to Court?
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkib150
    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Dakota

I got a DUS and I had no idea that my license was even suspended. I got brought to jail, and was booked, bu I never had my miranda rights read to me. I go to court in a couple weeks and I don't know what to do. I called the DMV and was told I had unpaid speeding ticket from 2 years ago and the state suspended my license because of it. What do I do when I get to Court?

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. Iíve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. Iíve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. Youíve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: ďIt wasnít me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.Ē)

[url]http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687[/url]

Public defenderís advice

[url]http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html[/url]

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    nikkib150 is offline Junior Member

Add on to orginal post

North Dakota

I called the DMV and my license was suspended because of a speeding ticket I neglected to alomost 2 years. Am I gonna have my license taken from me? Will I go to jail?
    gawm is offline Senior Member
    Go down to the court and pay the speeding ticket from 2 years ago. Then go to the DMV show them you paid the ticket and get your license reinstated. It will be a lot better for you if you have your license back when you go to court on the DUS. They might reduce the charge and/or fine.
    sukharev is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gawm
    Go down to the court and pay the speeding ticket from 2 years ago. Then go to the DMV show them you paid the ticket and get your license reinstated. It will be a lot better for you if you have your license back when you go to court on the DUS. They might reduce the charge and/or fine.
    Copy that, I had a similar issue 10 years ago, worked the same way. Unlike parking tickets, they typically don't escalate the fines for not paying. All you need to do is send a check, then letter to court and DMV, and ask for lifting the suspension.