• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUS what should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nd_caveman09

Ohio Law
I was arrested for driving under a suspended license. I didn't realize I was going 35 mph in a 25 mph zone. My license has been suspended since before I was 18 and I have 6 points on my license but this is my first major offense. Also 2 points come off my license in April.

I was taking a friend home because he had no other means of getting home from a basketball game and I did not want him to be forced to walk across town in the cold. I am getting my license back in 3 days. To this point it has been suspended for 362 days. It is very important that I get the charges knocked down because I am going to college soon and my dad is loosing his job of 33 years so I am going to be forced to pay my own way through college and therefore need a car for work and school. Also, I am planning on joining the ROTC so I do not want this misdemeanor to hurt my chances of getting accepted. I am a good person. I am an Eagle Scout, an honors student, and have never had any behavioral problems.

The policeman who gave me the ticket advised me to go to court and get a continuance, then go get my license back and speak to the prosecutor and try and get my charges changed to just the speeding. I am just wondering if this is what I should do and is there any other advice on how to plead my case.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

I am a good person. I am an Eagle Scout, an honors student, and have never had any behavioral problems.
One who has all these qualities and has "never had any behavioral problems" doesn't have his license suspended since before he was 18. So, why EXACTLY was your license suspended in the first place?

nd_caveman09

why?

My license was suspended for speeding. For minors in Ohio, traffic violations require a minimum suspension and the suspension lasted till after I was 18. I guess if you consider bad driving a behavioral problem then I guess I do but I meant it as I have never been in a fight, done drugs, or etc.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">