• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWLS What To Do? (WA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bballboi1821

I got pulled over back in 2006 for expired tabs. Due to my extreme stupidity, I forgot to pay my tabs as well as the ticket and was pulled over again. The officer then gave me a ticket for driving on a suspended license as well as a ticket for the expired tabs. I thought initially that had I paid for the tabs itself, the case would be over.

Now I just figured out that I need to appear in court for my DWLS and am panicking since I have let this go too far. What may happen to me as well as my license at this point? I have never been in trouble with the law, I just feel extremely stupid for letting this drag on too far.

Will a public defender be able to help me in a case like this? Also, I figure my license will be suspended, but for how long? And is there a chance I may face jail time?

racer72

Traffic violations are consider civil misdemeanors in Washington. State law does not allow for public defenders for these types of violations. Also, even if you qualified for a public defender, they are not free. You would have to fill out an income declaration and you would be charged based on your income.

Most courts are fairly lenient in your situation if you can pay all the fines and court costs at your hearing. You will likely walk out with a slap on the wrist. If you can't afford all the fines and such, you can make payment arrangements. When your case is paid in full, you can get your license back. You won't go to jail over this. You will also have to pay a steep reinstatement fee too.

FlyingRon

Umm..while the tag violation isn't a crime, driving while suspended for failure to appear for the violation appears to be a criminal misdemeanor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">