• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eagle manual?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlevy

What is the name of your state? AK

Does anyone have, or know where to get, manuals for the Eagle series radar guns that most police use?

I don't know the series # of the one that I was stopped with (doing 78 in a 65), but I'll need it. I can go through the steps to ask the troopers and/or file Discovery, but I'd sure like to know if it's available online somewhere.

I asked to look at the radar, and it showed 78 locked, with his speed showing 69. I read somewhere that 69 mph is a speed related to inaccurate readings of radar guns influenced by the fans in the cars ("shadowing error"). Has that been a successful defense, and if so, how do you prove it?

Also, I asked whether the radar unit is calibrated, and all the cop said was that he doesn't calibrate his gun, DOT does, so he "doesn't know how often it's calibrated". Sounded suspicious to me, though I'm not sure if he is required to do the calibrations himself, or if testing with tuning forks needs to be done with these units...I'm a bit concerned that if I request logs through troopers or DA, they could modify the records if something was obviously wrong.

He also said it took him a while to catch up to me because of a truck behind me. I don't know if it was there when he got the radar blip, but if I argue that in court, what's to stop the cop from saying "No, the truck wasn't there when I passed", even if it was?

thank you.

seniorjudge

rlevy said:
What is the name of your state? AK

Does anyone have, or know where to get, manuals for the Eagle series radar guns that most police use?

I don't know the series # of the one that I was stopped with (doing 78 in a 65), but I'll need it. I can go through the steps to ask the troopers and/or file Discovery, but I'd sure like to know if it's available online somewhere.

I asked to look at the radar, and it showed 78 locked, with his speed showing 69. I read somewhere that 69 mph is a speed related to inaccurate readings of radar guns influenced by the fans in the cars ("shadowing error"). Has that been a successful defense, and if so, how do you prove it?

Also, I asked whether the radar unit is calibrated, and all the cop said was that he doesn't calibrate his gun, DOT does, so he "doesn't know how often it's calibrated". Sounded suspicious to me, though I'm not sure if he is required to do the calibrations himself, or if testing with tuning forks needs to be done with these units...I'm a bit concerned that if I request logs through troopers or DA, they could modify the records if something was obviously wrong.

He also said it took him a while to catch up to me because of a truck behind me. I don't know if it was there when he got the radar blip, but if I argue that in court, what's to stop the cop from saying "No, the truck wasn't there when I passed", even if it was?

thank you.

And what if the cop does not introduce the radar readings but uses his expert training to give an opinion as to your speed?

racer72

Most if not all radar manuals are propriatory information and cannot be released to the general public. Also, rarely will an office introduce the radar reading as evidence, it is used just to confirm their suspicion that a vehicle is speeding. Go watch a traffic court session, you will learn a lot.

rlevy

Answers to both

In answer to both replies, first I have to assume that he might introduce radar readings in court, so therefore I am going to be prepared to counter his radar readings as possibly being flawed, and show why.

Second, his "expert training" could also be flawed, based on a flawed radar reading, which he has already told me is what he based the citation on. His "expert training" could also be limited, which I may find out later.

Calibration problems, or lack of correct logs, have always been a solid basis for throwing citations out in court, so yes, officers frequently introduce radar readings as evidence.

Again, if anyone can help with the specific questions above, I'd appreciate it.

The Occultist

Do you think you were not speeding? The speed limit was 65, the cop was apparenty going 69, and you were going faster than he was, and thus speeding, right?

rlevy

No, I wasn't speeding. This is why I'm questioning the validity of his radar, calibration and/or visual estimate.

Cop was not behind me while I went past him, so his speed of 69 was afterward.

Are there people on this forum willing to help or just ask irrelevant questions?

The Occultist

Hey now, I just wanted more to the story. You didn't actually state whether or not you felt you were speeding, so I feel my question was topical.
Logs can be requested during Discovery, and challenging the officer's expert opinion can be done at trial. Good luck.

seniorjudge

rlevy said:
No, I wasn't speeding. This is why I'm questioning the validity of his radar, calibration and/or visual estimate.

Cop was not behind me while I went past him, so his speed of 69 was afterward.

Are there people on this forum willing to help or just ask irrelevant questions?
After the cop gets on the stand and testifies that you were speeding, what will you use to rebut that testimony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">