• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entered express lane accidently and without a fast track transponder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanoj

Yesterday, When I drove back to home from Los Angeles down town , I accidentally entered an express lane road (It is a single lane road until it merges to Interstate 710). I took a right turn from Alameda Street and realized that I entered to an express road without watching the signboard (if there is any). Having found no other way but to drive through it until the next exit, I used the express lane for approximately 3 to 4 miles. As soon as I reached home, I logged in to my laptop in the hope of making the toll payment but I found no option for a onetime toll payment for LA metro express lanes. I called the customer service center and described them what happened as I don�t want to wait for receiving a citation for toll violation. But to my disappointment, the customer care executive told me that there was no way for making a toll payment without a fast track account and I should wait until I receive the citation.
I know for sure almost all other toll systems like www.thetollroads.com will allow one to pay the toll within a 48 hours� time without attracting any penalties. I had used it one or two times.
I feel it is ridiculous that www.metroexpresslanes.net do not allow one to correct one�s mistake. In my case, I approached them on the same day I violated the toll without waiting for them to issue a citation but still they wanted me to go through their punishment system and pay the penalty.
I�m now waiting for the citation but I feel disappointed as this can happen in future also. To err is human. So there should be a way to resolve it ones you realized and accepted it. By not allowing me to pay the toll for my accidental usage of an express road, I feel they are waiting for a prey to fall in their trap. This is especially true to someone like me who is not an LA native and not familiar with roads in LA.
Do you people see any other way to get way from receiving a toll violation notice and the penalty thereby? It is still less than 24 hours after I used the toll road.

justalayman

While I understand your point I think another point comes into play. If they take a one time payment in the manner you suggest there are additional adminstrstive costs involved. I suggest the system as it is aids in recovering those costs. It also acts as a deterrent for the folks that forget or err too often.

sanoj

That's exactly why signs are posted - to give motorists notice.

I agree. But is it not possible for one to miss a single sign board? I usually look around for all sign boards and traffic directions and obey them but still I missed it this time. Usually in the freeways, there are multiple sign boards starting from 1 to 2 miles before the toll road entrance. But here, a single right turn from a city surface road will take you directly to a toll road and missing a single sign board at that place can end up with unavoidable penalty as they will not accept a toll once you entered the toll road without a transponder . That is why I feel it as a trap.

caresident07

This happened to me once. I was looking for a place in LA using my GPS, and somehow went into the fast track lane. I had no idea I did until I received the citation in the mail with a picture of my car. I didn't even know how long I was on the fast lane. What they did was they take my license plate and get my information from DMV, then send me the citation to the address on file with DMV. Since it was my first offense, my fine was some cents (I think it was 35 or 45 cents). I went online and paid the fine. :eek:

Wait for the citation in the mail. Good luck. =)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">