• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equal Protection under the law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aaf_sc

What is the name of your state? California.
I was cited for running a stop sign while riding my bicycle. I am an adult. The officer pulled me over and also pulled over two children (approx age 12) who ran the stop sign on their bikes at the same time I did. I was the only one issued a ticket. The children were let go with a warning. Is this legal? Should I bring up the 14th ammendment in an attept to get my ticket dismissed?

L

loocpoc

You can but it wont get dismissed. Stop crying over something so trivial

Bravo8

Pulled over for running a stop sign on a BICYCLE?!?! That's rich! I have never heard of that.

Anyway, your interpretation of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is flawed. What it states is that the States shall make no law abridging the rights of the U.S citizens (like Gun Control laws.....all ilegal under the 14th Amendment), that no one shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process, and that all citizens shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

The last clause being where you hinge your argument upon. What that means is that you have the same protection under the law as does anyone else. Those two kids were subject to the same laws. The officer has discretion in enforcing the law, though.

In other words, a law cannot be made that requires you to abide by it, while exempting citizens of other states, or a specific group of citizens.

HomeGuru

aaf_sc said:
What is the name of your state? California.
I was cited for running a stop sign while riding my bicycle. I am an adult. The officer pulled me over and also pulled over two children (approx age 12) who ran the stop sign on their bikes at the same time I did. I was the only one issued a ticket. The children were let go with a warning. Is this legal?

**A: yes.

Should I bring up the 14th ammendment in an attept to get my ticket dismissed?

**A: yes you should. The courtrooms are way too serious and the judge and prosecutor need a good laugh.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">