• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error on ticket? Plead Not Guilty!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asdfman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
I recently got a ticket for going 84 in a 70 on I90. I know I had my cruise set at 74 and was not speeding. Plus, the officer marked that it was a commercial vehicle (in the check box). Plus, his W looks like a C. So when he wrote WA it looked like CA. Does anyone think I can get out of it because of those reasons? If so, what should I say? I already contested it since I know that I wasn't going 84. Court date on the 21st. HELP!:mad:

occharge

Q C E R T Y....

You might want to post the vehicle code section you were cited for...

Also, did the officer indicate how he estimated your speed? (Radar, Lidar, Paced... etc).

What sort of argument are you gonna employ to fight the speeding charge? Just simply saying you had your cruise control set to 74 would not get you out of the speeding violation. In fact by doing so you are admitting to driving 4 miles over the limit.... And although you might not get pulled over and cited for 4 mph over the limit, admitting it in court sets the odds against your winning the case!!!

Last edited:

racer72

None of the errors prevent you from presenting a valid defence to the citation and are not cause for dismissal. If you have a clean driving record you can ask for a deferral. Don't get any tickets for one year and the ticket goes away. Get another and both hit your driving record at the same time.

The Occultist

Plus, his W looks like a C. So when he wrote WA it looked like CA. Does anyone think I can get out of it because of those reasons?
I'm sorry, but this actually offends me; you think you are allowed to get off just because the officer has poor handwriting? :rolleyes:

Mackeyser

Why does this offend you?

Where enforcement is a function of public safety, I concur, small errors should be of no consequence.

However, where enforcement is a function purely and totally of revenue generation and actually endangers public safety, I have absolutely no quarrel at all with any and all means of avoiding a municipality's/county's craptastic means of overcoming their budgetary shortcomings.

I don't know which this is, but it's not as if every ticket written is in the interest of keeping the public safe, ya know...

occharge

Yeah, what he said ^^^

Except... could you please elaborate on how "enforcement as a function of pure and total revenue generation, how does it endangers public safety?"

I am not arguing... I am honestly asking for clarification... Thanks in advance.

Curt581

Yeah, what he said ^^^

Except... could you please elaborate on how "enforcement as a function of pure and total revenue generation, how does it endangers public safety?"

I am not arguing... I am honestly asking for clarification... Thanks in advance.
It's the difference between seeing the police ticket speeders in your neighborhood after you've made a complaint.... and getting ticketed by them yourself.

Other people getting tickets: Public safety

Getting your own ticket: Revenue generation

Last edited:

occharge

It's the difference between seeing the police ticket speeders in your neighborhood after you've made a complaint.... and getting ticketed by them yourself.

Other people getting tickets: Public safety

Gotcha...
& only God & the County Treasurer know that I have generated enough revenue for Los Angeles County... As I have had more that my share!!!

Hey There

Where the information is

asdfman

When a driver goes to court the only thing the driver needs to prove is that he didn't commit the violation he was charged with.
To contest a speeding violation the driver would only need to prove that he wasn't going the speed the officer said he was.
Speed Detection Methods in WA. are Pacing, Aircraft,VASCAR, radar,laser.
For information on court procedures Google: Washington Courts
Under the website Washington Courts click on
Court Rules
Scroll to
Local Court Rules
District Court Rules
Municipal Court Rules
and click on either District or Muni Court .
which gives a list of local courts.
Key Points: You can file a written statement in lieu of appearing in court but if the judge rules against you the decision is FINAL.
The officer can submit a written statement rather than appearing in court. Court rules stipulate what a driver must do if he wants the officer present in court.
A local librarian might help you locate a book on contesting your traffic ticket.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">