• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error in traffic ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

farooq

NEW York State, Nassau county.
Police Office issues me a ticket for making a left turn on solid red left turn arrow but the main light was green. The violation officer wrote down was 1111D1 where after my research, I found out that violation 1111D1 is for solid circle red light. Officer was supposed to give me ticket for violation 1111D3. How can I defend myself. Is there any NY state law that says that such type of error in ticket can lead to dismissal of the ticket???
Please help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

Ask for a jury trial.

After the first witness for the government is sworn, make a motion for the charge to be dismissed since it it the wrong ordinance number.

You Are Guilty

Its a moving violation. Errors on the ticket do not a dismissal make. You'll need to hope that the officer's testimony, (which provides the evidence against you in court), is based entirely on his reading of the ticket and not his notes or an independent recollection. Once he commits to the wrong section, you bust out your indefensible proof that you went through the red arrow, and not the solid red (photos, DOT records, eyewitnesses are all helpful here).

Then you hope you didn't screw something up procedurally and request a dismissal.

V-V-V

1111 d1 instead of 1111 d3

I have the same issue and wonder how successful farooq was in dismissing this summons

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">