• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ESP-Excessive Speed Preventer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tankersmom

What is the name of your state? PA

Greetings. I've searched the forum but haven't found answers to my questions. I'm asking for your assistance. I was cited for speeding in Cumberland County by a municipal cop using ESP. I’m especially interested in hearing from someone that has used this equipment. The township was running a "detail" he said, there was one cop on the shoulder timing my speed between 2 points, and he told the chaser cop to pull me over for 71 in a 55 zone. The truth is I was just following along in a long line of vehicles, “keeping up with traffic” kind of thing. I did not plead guilty and have a court date with the District Justice.

My questions. 1. Before the hearing, can I request to see how this device is used? 2. Anyone know the distance between these 2 points? 3. When there are multiple vehicles being timed between these 2 points, is there a time required for the device to reset itself between vehicles? 4. If one changes speed between Point A and Point B, does that effect the readout? 5. How can I research for an attorney EXPERIENCED in successfully defending these cases?

Thanks for your time.

racer72

1. Before the hearing, can I request to see how this device is used?
You could ask an officer but they don't have to show you. If you know how to use a stopwatch, you know how to operate ESP.
From a couple other sites:
"The ESP, or Excessive Speed Preventer, device consists of two rubber pneumatic hoses placed a specific distance apart on the roadway. The tubes are attached to an electronic time/speed calculating computer which determines the speed of a vehicle as its tires pass over the rubber tubes in the road. "

"Excessive Speed Preventer. To use it, officers place a special kind of tape on the road or use machines that transmit infrared rays across the roadway. When a vehicle’s tires roll over the tape or through the infrared beam, ESP calculates the vehicle’s speed. An officer stays with the ESP machine and radios information to other officers in patrol cars waiting nearby to make the stops."

2. Anyone know the distance between these 2 points?
It can very depending on location.

3. When there are multiple vehicles being timed between these 2 points, is there a time required for the device to reset itself between vehicles?
Depends how fast the officer can press the stop and start buttons.

4. If one changes speed between Point A and Point B, does that effect the readout?
No. You are timed between 2 specific points. The time it takes to travel between these two points determines your average speed.

5. How can I research for an attorney EXPERIENCED in successfully defending these cases?
There are many links on this site, call your state bar association, look in the yellow pages, or visit a court session and watch for a lawyer that is having success with similiar tickets.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">