• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

exhibition of speed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wondergt

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Phoenix suburb police offer pulled me over for spinning tires around a turn to fast. Said I was drag racing another car. Wrote ticket for exhibition of speed. My only defense that there was no other vehicle involved or at least nobody else was pulled over for 'racing.' The speed was wrote down for 25 in a 45. I did about 500 feet before I hit a red light. The cop also crossed out all speed measurement devices on the ticket. From what I hear this is a hard one to fight because speed is not a major factor. I need help as I am young with a brand new car and can not afford 8 points for something so minor. I have to take time off work to show up in court or a warrant will be issued. I have had only one ticket for going 5 over and everything else is clean. Please help.

www.azleg.gov/ars/28/00708.htm

Last edited:

Bcar1463

In my state at least, Exhibition of Speed is more of a generalized "blanket" citation given when it appears that the offense was blatantly intentional and involves any sort of tire spinning or turning involving traction loss.

A rule of thumb interpretation of our law is:
Exhibition of Speed: Overly-aggressive driving resulting in intentional loss of traction or control of the vehicle.

The line between reckless driving and exhibition is fairly blurred and mostly based on the officer's digression. Here you're likely only receive reckless unless you were doing something to get attention from others. Though since your in a different state, your mileage may vary.

My only defense that there was no other vehicle involved or at least nobody else was pulled over for 'racing.'
There is a very important difference there. If the officer thought there was another car he will note this and merely say he wasn't able to pull over both vehicles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">