• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expired drivers license - NH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marmstrong1211

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in New Hampshire and my license will expire on the 11th. I am moving to New Mexico at the end of the month. I want to avoid paying the $50 renewal and I also don't want to deal with the hassle that may result from having a temporary permit(NH doesn't give you a real license right away) if I am stopped while we are driving out there. I realize that there will certainly be hassles associated with being stopped with an expired license, but if I have to pay $50 anyway, what's the differnce. Maybe I should just take a chance? NM already has told me that they would grant me a new license from my expired NH one without taking the test. I can't decide what to do - $50 is very important to me.

FlyingRon

If you're going to drive after the 11th, you'll need a license. Either boogie on down to NM early and get one or renew the NH. Welcome to the screwage that is is the RealID act, a general unfunded mandate on the states and the general polulation which, in fact, does nothing to really increase security.

If the NM DMV will take the expired license, the temporary (you keep the expired license to go with the temporary) shouldn't be a problem.

racer72

$50 for a valid license or $350 for driving on an expired license. The answer is so easy even a caveman can do it.

marmstrong1211

says who?

I didn't realize this was an advice site for the sarcastic wealthy! If I could afford to fly out to NM to get a new license, I certainly could afford to my life simpler by just renewing it. As for $350 for a fine, I'm not sure where that is, but I've been seeing something around $20 if you have an appointment to renew. WTF?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You won't have an appointment to renew at that point.

Also keep in mind that besides the fine you could end up with your vehicle impounded.

cyjeff

Who told you that driving on an expired license carried a $20 fine?

Usually, it not only carries a healthy fine but a possible suspension. Not only that, but you are going to have a hell of a time getting a license renewed in NM.

cyjeff

I take my last point back... as long as the other id hasn't been expired a year you are okay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">