• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Inspection Sticker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

McNorr

What is the name of your state? Mass.

My car has an expired inspection sticker.Today while I had the car parked I received a violation for the sticker.The car is part of a two car policy,that I share with my wife.The authority that issued the ticket did so in the absence of the operator,so there is no proof as to who was operating the vehicle.
In my state this a moving violation and surchargeable.

Can I protest this on the grounds that it was not me that was driving the car?
Any opinions?
Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My car has an expired inspection sticker.Today while I had the car parked I received a violation for the sticker.The car is part of a two car policy,that I share with my wife.The authority that issued the ticket did so in the absence of the operator,so there is no proof as to who was operating the vehicle.

Any opinions?
Thanks in advance.
Please cite the law that states this is a moving violation.

HomeGuru

Any opinions?
Thanks in advance.
**A: you are guilty but there is more to this story.

racer72

My car has an expired inspection sticker.
Why is that?

Today while I had the car parked I received a violation for the sticker.
Bummer.

The car is part of a two car policy,that I share with my wife.
What does your insurance have to do with the inspection sticker?

The authority that issued the ticket did so in the absence of the operator,so there is no proof as to who was operating the vehicle.
Not required. The registered owner is responsible for the inspection sticker and can be cited if it is expired.

From what I found on 5 minutes of Google says this is true. Bummer again.

You can but it won't work. As stated, the registered owner is liable for the vehicle inspection.

dlw99

Any opinions?
Thanks in advance.
Presumably the car is registered to YOU and only you, right? Therefore you bear the responsibility of expired sticker.

Get it inspected and go to court showing car passed inspection.

Make the argument about the fact that the car was unoccupied and parked, rather than who was driving the car.

I'm sure you were keeping it parked safely while waiting for parts to repair problem when the citation was issued, right?

The magistrate might cut you a break. It's worth a try.

Orcons

I thought I remembered from somewhere that it is not surchargeable if they catch you for an out of date inspection sticker on a parking ticket. My memory was that you just pay the fine and you are done. You should look into that.

On the chance that it is surchargeable I would contest it. You would probably send a letter to the parking clerk in the town that issued you the ticket. What gets strange is that if they deny you, your right to appeal is probably going to be to a hearing examiner, not a judge, and the meter maid is not going to be there to testify. If you go that route and they try to surcharge you I would imagine they would have to toss it on the grounds that the meter maid never testified and you did not have a right of appeal to a judge (both of which would have to happen if you got the same ticket from a police oifficer.)

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">