• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired out of state inspection sticker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AMGryta

My car is registered and inspected in NY, but I won't be returning for a while. Can I drive it in Massachusetts when it expires? Can I get it inspected here? What are my options?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My car is registered and inspected in NY, but I won't be returning for a while. Can I drive it in Massachusetts when it expires? Can I get it inspected here? What are my options?
Are you moving to MA?

Just Blue

You can drive the car in Mass but will get a big fat ticket. ;)

AMGryta

Which I understand, and that is the plan for sure, but since it is a process of finding an insurer, taking all these papers to the DMV (RMV here, right), etc, I need a temporary solution so I can drive (legally) this month while I complete all these transactions.

Ladyback1

Which I understand, and that is the plan for sure, but since it is a process of finding an insurer, taking all these papers to the DMV (RMV here, right), etc, I need a temporary solution so I can drive (legally) this month while I complete all these transactions.
How difficult is it to find an insurer? Did you not have the vehicle insured previously? If you did, why won't it transfer to a new state?

"All" those papers? Really?

You need to bite the bullet and take care of this issue.

Zigner

The steps you list above take one, maybe two days. That gives you 29 days of worry free driving :)

AMGryta

Allright, ladies and gentlemen, no need to get snippy. I'm a recent masters grad doing all this for the first time, and currently bed ridden due to surgery. It's all a little overwhelming, that's all. Let's practice some kindness and compassion. Just looking for a little advice.

Ladyback1

Allright, ladies and gentlemen, no need to get snippy. I'm a recent masters grad doing all this for the first time, and currently bed ridden due to surgery. It's all a little overwhelming, that's all. Let's practice some kinds and compassion. Just looking for a little advice.
you didn't ask for kindness and compassion--you asked for advice on how to skirt the law/break the law.

Few, IF ANY, senior posters on this board, will provide you with information on how to skirt the law or break the law.

Sorry dude!

If you are bedridden--there are a lot of things you can still do to take care of this issue.

AMGryta

No no, not skirt the law. Just asking if Mass tickets based on other state's inspections (as I have heard that some do not), and if Massachusetts inspectors will inspect a NY car.

Zigner

No no, not skirt the law. Just asking if Mass tickets based on other state's inspections (as I have heard that some do not), and if Massachusetts inspectors will inspect a NY car.
You need to register your vehicle in MA within 30 days of becoming a resident of MA. However, yes, they can ticket you if your car is not properly registered in NY (including inspection), and, no, MA doesn't do NY inspections.

Just Blue

Yes. Any and every car from whatever state that is illegal will be pulled over and ticketed. No you can not have a car from another state inspected. Have your car legalized in Mass. I'm sure with your Masters Degree this should not tax your intelligence. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">