• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldie_allan

What is the name of your state?CA

A week and a half ago I got pulled over for expired registration on my way home from work, at that time I found out my liscense was supsended. At which time my vehicle was impounded. So monday I started the process to get my car back (cause I didn't get paid until friday before). Went to a place that does registration on cars so I wouldn't have to wait at DMV all day, when I learned how much it was going to cost to get it registered told the lady I would be back shorlty with the money ($100.00). Before I went back to get the registration done I called the tow truck company to find out how much it was going to be to get it out. At which time I was told it was released to the registered owner (cause I just bought the car a few days before I got pulled over). My question is can I get the ticket dismissed because looking at everything the officer filled in I noticed that where it says " Registered Owner or Lessee" it checked " Same as Driver". So if this is the case then why was my car released to someone else? What are my options and what do I need to do to get this back?

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated,
Goldie

CdwJava

Sorry, the ticket is still yours. The officer checks that box generally based upon your statement if it is not on the registration.

However, if you go to court and argue that the registration is the owner's responsibility, and you are not the owner of the car, you might be exhonerated from the violation. It might be worth a try as CA law generally holds the owner responsible for those things.

But, if there are any other violations, they are on you.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">