• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tags ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

patinthehat

I live in Kansas. I was driving my gf's car this evening. The police pulled me over for expired tags. I obviously never knew the tags were expired before I drove it. I received two tickets, one for the expired tags and one for no seat belt.

The question I have is does this add points to my record and will it affect my insurance?

I am assuming there isn't much for a legal defense on this, but if you know of one, please fill me in.

Thanks!

Q

qadaq

Read the tickets. Often they'll give the point values. I'm not sure either has any points attached, and if not they shouldn't affect your insurance. If you have a cool insurance agent, you might ask them. If you don't e-mail me and I'll ask mine. I looked up what I believe to be the applicable registration law.

(c) The owner of any motorcycle, motorized bicycle, passenger vehicle, truck, truck tractor, trailer, semitrailer, or electrically propelled vehicle who fails to pay the registration fee or fees herein provided on the date when the same become due and payable shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be subject to a penalty in the sum of $1 for each month or fraction thereof during which such fee has remained unpaid after it became due and payable; and in addition thereto shall be subject to such other punishment as is provided in this act.

Note it says "The owner". It's possible you can get this dropped since you're not the owner.

Last edited:
P

patinthehat

Thank you very much for your reply to this post. I looked into the points and there are none attached to the citations. I am planning on hitting the library this evening to lookup the ordinance that the ticket shows was broken to see what the wording on it is.

One more question on this, were did you look to see the registration law for Kansas at?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Q

qadaq

You see the links to the right of your screen? One should say "State Law Center". Go there, then select your state. Different states are different levels of helpful, but the laws are listed there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">