• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EXPIRED TAGS on brothers car that he doesn't drive-HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CaliCat

What is the name of your state? California

My brother has a car that he got insurance on and paid a full year when the tags were valid. The damn thing broke (driveable, but needs a lot of work to be really safe) and he didn't re-register it since he wouldn't be driving it. The tags expired in March. He wants to know if he can register the car as NPO or whatever it is where you don't plan to operate the vehicle. He lives on a horse ranch and didnt drive it for ages. A cop noticed it was parked in a spot it shouldn't have been (it was in front of the propane tank and the cop said it was a haxxard in case the fire department ever needed to shut off propane in an emergency) and told him he needed to move it or it'd be towed. So he did. Then the cop gave him a ticket for expired tags for driving a car with bad tags. Since he never drives the car (except for that one time) can he register it NPO or PNO or whatever as the correction he needs to do before court? First my fiance, now my brother. And they both expect me to have the ability to find the answers since I used to write on this board sometimes. Please help! It's stressing me out, which mu disease does not need.

TYRIS

CaliCat said:
What is the name of your state? California

My brother has a car that he got insurance on and paid a full year when the tags were valid. The damn thing broke (driveable, but needs a lot of work to be really safe) and he didn't re-register it since he wouldn't be driving it. The tags expired in March. He wants to know if he can register the car as NPO or whatever it is where you don't plan to operate the vehicle. He lives on a horse ranch and didnt drive it for ages. A cop noticed it was parked in a spot it shouldn't have been (it was in front of the propane tank and the cop said it was a haxxard in case the fire department ever needed to shut off propane in an emergency) and told him he needed to move it or it'd be towed. So he did. Then the cop gave him a ticket for expired tags for driving a car with bad tags. Since he never drives the car (except for that one time) can he register it NPO or PNO or whatever as the correction he needs to do before court? First my fiance, now my brother. And they both expect me to have the ability to find the answers since I used to write on this board sometimes. Please help! It's stressing me out, which mu disease does not need.

your brother can go to dmv and get a non-op registration for the vehicle, but he will probably have to bring the reigistration up to date first. however, non-op only works if the vehicle is stored on private property. if he parks the vehicle on a street, then the non-op is void and the vehicle can be cited for expired registration. and yes, he can do this before court. have him contact the local dmv to see what he needs to get the vehicle registered.

TYRIS

C

CaliCat

It is on private property. In the country it would be dangerous to park it on the street, especially on a street where there are no street lights and frequent midnight speeders. We were eanting to know if he could register it non-op without registering it for operation, then turning around and registering it non-op right after. He can't afford to do that, which is why he didn't get his car fixed. He can fix it but can't afford the parts. Thanks.

TYRIS

CaliCat said:
It is on private property. In the country it would be dangerous to park it on the street, especially on a street where there are no street lights and frequent midnight speeders. We were eanting to know if he could register it non-op without registering it for operation, then turning around and registering it non-op right after. He can't afford to do that, which is why he didn't get his car fixed. He can fix it but can't afford the parts. Thanks.

-was it on private property when it was cited? expired registration doesn't apply on private property.

you will have to contact the dmv in regards to registering the vehicle as a non-op. i can only give you my guess..and that is you will have to bring the registration current before registering it as a non-op vehicle.

Tyris

C

CaliCat

When he can afford it, he's going to get the parts to fix it. That is their second car. With a sick daughter they need to get it fixed as soon as they can. He works six days a week to pay the med bills and that leaves relatives to help take his wife and little girl to the appointments. Hm. Most people I know aren't rich enought to just give away a car. The write-off in the end is pointless since thay already get all their taxes back due to all of the medical bills. No, they get no aid in any way whatsoever from the government.

abezon

Was the car on private property when the cop told him to move it? If so, the cop can't write a ticket for driving a car without tags, since he wasn't on the street. Bro might also be able to argue that he shouldn't get a ticket since the cop ordered him to move the car right away. (A cop can't order you to break the law, then charge you with breaking the law.)

Ask the CA DMV if he needs to register a car that's not being driven in the forseeable future. Make them show you the actual statute if they say he needs to register the car non-op.

C

CaliCat

It was on private property on one side of the house covered with a car tarp. The propane man filled the tank when my brother wasn't home and reported the "hazard." A cop came and told him to move it, but to do so required him to drive the car onto the road for about 50 to the other side of the house. It was then that he was ticketed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">