• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired tags & insurance; Not my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

girlwithbadluck

What is the name of your state?
ARIZONA

in violation of:
28-2532A no current registration
28-4135A no current insurance

I'm hoping to get some help with my bad situation.
I was cited for the 2 above violations while I was driving a borrowed car. The car is registered and insured under my dad's name and he has let me borrow it. From time to time in the past, he has let me borrow his car and this is one of the times.
The problem is I was unaware that the registration is expired and there was no current insurance card in the car... I borrowing the car because I have no car and I had actually bought a car yesterday and I was going to return my dad's car tonight. Since this is my dad's car, he has legal responsiblity for the registration and insurance. But my dad wants to get rid of the car and he refuses to get it registered and get current insurance to exonerate me. It is beyond my control to do anything about the violations since i was unaware there were any problems with the car, and that i'm not responsible for the car's paper process. I wouldn't have known there were any problems with the car since I have no way of being notified by the motor vehicle dept, etc.
Is there a legal defense or any defense that I could use to help me avoid being severely penalized for 2 offences that are out of my hands?

racer72

It is your responsibility, not your father's, to make sure the vehicle is legal to operate on the public roadways. You have no defense, pay the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">