• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired tags, supsended plates, no registration. Penalties?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Axiom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I can't seem to find an answer to this in other places. I was pulled over for driving with expired tags, on a plate which had been suspended BECAUSE of the expired tags (according to the cop). So the violations are: expired tags, suspended plate, and no current registration on hand (thank god I at least have insurance.. that's another $900 right there). I understand the amount of the fines, but I can't find anything else as far as penalties go. Anybody know what I'm looking at here? License suspension, jail time, etc?

JETX

Anybody know what I'm looking at here?
If someone could answer that for you, they would be at the horse track 'playing the ponies'. No one can GUESS what a court might do. Punishment is always given in ranges, from light to severe. The court can place you anywhere in there. From the charges you mention (KNOWINGLY driving on a suspended plate with no registration), I would assume you will be more towards the 'severe' end of the range.

Axiom

Reasonable.

So has anybody HEARD of anyone serving jail time for a traffic violation like this? I know it ultimately depends on the judge, but..

How exactly does one conduct oneself in court? I'm obviously not going to tell the judge I forgot about it; I knew about it, I was just procrastinating. I'm sure he doesn't want to hear that either, though. Is there a way to go about "convincing" the judge to not put me in jail, if I get the notion that he's considering it (i.e. he tells me)? That would be just swell.

JETX

So has anybody HEARD of anyone serving jail time for a traffic violation like this?
Yep. You got a 'one-chance' in your prior case. You then KNOWINGLY decided to go out and break the law again. Courts don't like to give second chances to persons who have abused the first chance....

Axiom

Well that's unfortunate. Is there any way to reduce the sentence? Supposing I go to the DMV and obtain current registration and such, to bring with me to court? Would that help my case at all?

Thanks for the quick replies, by the way. I appreciate it.

JETX

Well that's unfortunate. Is there any way to reduce the sentence? Supposing I go to the DMV and obtain current registration and such, to bring with me to court? Would that help my case at all?
Can't hurt.

I_Got_Banned

So has anybody HEARD of anyone serving jail time for a traffic violation like this? . . .

. . I'm obviously not going to tell the judge I forgot about it; I knew about it, I was just procrastinating. I'm sure he doesn't want to hear that either, though. Is there a way to go about "convincing" the judge to not put me in jail, if I get the notion that he's considering it (i.e. he tells me)? That would be just swell.
What would swell? :eek:

Oops, my bad... I thought you were talking about jail time and how you think... well, never mind!
Supposing I go to the DMV and obtain current registration and such, to bring with me to court? Would that help my case at all?
You are supposed to do that anyways if you're gonna be driving the car again... So don't make it sound like you're doing anyone any favors by doing what you were supposed to have done a while back but instead, you slacked, procrastinated, put it off, got cited for it and did some more kicking back after that.

It might help you look better to the Judge but as to whether it will help lower the punishment... Only the Judge will know that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">