• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Explain this sign ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Check Facts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

On a one way side street, under a stop sign, near a freeway exit ramp, a white sign with black writing on pole reads, "EXIT RAMP TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP.”

Is the sign there for informational purposes, or is it a regulatory sign? Legally, what differentiates the two?

What exactly does the sign mean?
Is it: by the way, there may be traffic coming off the ramp at a high rate of speed and they may not be looking so don't get in their way?
Is it: code for yield to traffic coming off freeway ramp?
Is it: ramp traffic has the right of way?
Is it: wait until all traffic is off the ramp before proceeding?
Or, is it something else?
If it is a ‘yield’ or ‘right of way’ sign why does it not just say that?

If it is indeed a regulatory sign, what is one to do when one comes upon such a sign in order to follow the law?

Yes, I did stop at the stop sign, that is not in dispute; and yes, I did receive a ticket for, “not obeying a traffic control device”, referring to the referenced sign at above location.
Another bit of clarification- This occurred on a one way street – There were stop signs on both sides of the street, however, the referenced sign was only under the stop sign on the right side of the street, it did not appear on the left side of the street. The freeway ramp cut in on the left side of the street. (I was in the right lane).

I plan to fight the ticket. Any comments would be appreciated. For further clarification, portions of my original post are below.

I got a ticket for a code "Obedience to Traffic Control Devices". The officer wrote on the ticket- "signs disobeyed-exit ramp traffic does not stop”- on the bottom of the ticket under Remarks he wrote: “Failed to yield right of way to exit ramp traffic".

The Facts: I stopped at a stop sign, waited for a while, then preceded because the lane in front of me was clear. There was a traffic light 100 feet a head, which was green. There was traffic on the freeway exit ramp to the left of me, between the stop sign and the traffic light, however, it was stopped.

More detail… There were actually three signs - one on top of the others. Under the stop sign is another sign that reads “AFTER STOP OBEY SIGNAL” Under that sign is another that reads, also in caps but in smaller font, “Ramp traffic does not stop”.

No cars had to brake sharply or speed up to avoid me. However, a car in the left lane changed their mind and decided to make a right turn in front of me, so I had to avoid them. (I could not have been going more than 5-10 mph at the time).
It is a waiverable ticket, however, I feel strongly that I did nothing wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fight it?

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

On a one way side street, under a stop sign, near a freeway exit ramp, a white sign with black writing on pole reads, "EXIT RAMP TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP.”

Is the sign there for informational purposes, or is it a regulatory sign? Legally, what differentiates the two?
The sign is a regulatory sign (white sign + black letters means regulatory ~ yellow sign with black lettering means informational… There are other variety of informational signage as well. Green Sign with white lettering is one…) and under those circumstances, it means that when you stop at the stop sign, you are supposed to remain stopped until ALL the traffic from the off ramp is clear.

In other words, this sign is informing you that once you stop, don't assume the traffic from the off ramp has to stop as well because it doesn't.

Is it: by the way, there may be traffic coming off the ramp at a high rate of speed and they may not be looking so don't get in their way?
Yes.

Is it: code for yield to traffic coming off freeway ramp?
It doesn’t say yield anywhere but considering the fact that there was a Stop Sign that you had to obey means you remain stopped until traffic clears.

Is it: ramp traffic has the right of way?
Yes.

Is it: wait until all traffic is off the ramp before proceeding?
Yes.

Or, is it something else?
It could be depending upon the circumstances.

Because if it just said “yield the right of way, it would get confusing with a Stop sign being at the same intersection.

Another bit of clarification- This occurred on a one way street – There were stop signs on both sides of the street, however, the referenced sign was only under the stop sign on the right side of the street, it did not appear on the left side of the street. The freeway ramp cut in on the left side of the street. (I was in the right lane).
So you failed to obey a traffic control device!!!

I plan to fight the ticket.
Not sure on what grounds but you have a right to fight it…

The Facts: I stopped at a stop sign, waited for a while, then preceded because the lane in front of me was clear.
You did not check, and or wait for traffic from the off ramp. Simply stopping at a Stop sign is not enough if you enter the intersection and fail to give the right of way to vehicle that have the right of way.
More detail… There were actually three signs - one on top of the others. Under the stop sign is another sign that reads “AFTER STOP OBEY SIGNAL” Under that sign is another that reads, also in caps but in smaller font, “Ramp traffic does not stop”.
Short of putting a gate there they’ve done all they can to clarify what you should/should not do!!!

There was a traffic light 100 feet a head, which was green. There was traffic on the freeway exit ramp to the left of me, between the stop sign and the traffic light, however, it was stopped.
Both of those facts are irrelevant.

No cars had to brake sharply or speed up to avoid me.
Did you interview the drivers of all the cars that you’re talking about or is that just a guess?

However, a car in the left lane changed their mind and decided to make a right turn in front of me, so I had to avoid them. (I could not have been going more than 5-10 mph at the time).
I’m not sure what that has to do, if anything, with you failing to obey the traffic control signal, although your presence where you were could have caused an accident…

It is a waiverable ticket
What do you mean “waiverable”?

I feel strongly that I did nothing wrong.
I disagree…

Good luck!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, by it's very nature, the sign informing you that the exiting traffic doesn't stop is informational. However, as was pointed out, you didn't properly yield after stopping at the stop sign.

The Occultist

You will typically not find a stop sign being used in conjunction with a yield sign. A yield sign, absent a stop sign, means that you do not have to come to a complete stop just as long as you do yield the right of way. A stop sign requires one to come to a complete stop, and that special sign of yours further indicates that you need to think twice before moving again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">