• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expressing an opinion = traffic violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cogitoergodoleo

What is the name of your state? OH
My husband was stopped by a policeman who complained about some stickers on his rear window about religion (e.g. "If going to church makes you a Christian, does going to a garage make you a car?") The officer asked him why he did not believe in Jesus. My husband replied that he only didn't believe in organized religion. The officer then asked for his license, registration, etc. and gave him a ticket for obstruction of view. While the stickers do cover most of the rear window my husband has never before (in several years) received a ticket for this. Also, the officer was obviously displeased with the content of the stickers and the fact that my husband didn't share his religious opinions. It strongly appeared that this was the only reason he followed my husband and found a reason to give him a ticket. Should we go to court on the grounds that the officer only decided to give him the ticket because of his views on religion?

D

dabear

In most states it is illegal to have the rear window full of obstructions. You can take it to court, that is your right. But it might be hard to prove that your husband was given a ticket because of diff beliefs with the officer. Good luck.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cogitoergodoleo said:
"If going to church makes you a Christian, does going to a garage make you a car?"
My response:

Your husband got all of that onto a bumper sticker?

Wow !

Either your husband is Japanese, or that was one mighty big bumper sticker !

IAAL

cogitoergodoleo

I read your disclaimer. You don't really believe that that comment of yours was eductional? And to answer your question: Yes, you can get all that on a bumper sticker. You can get even longer messages on bumper stickers. Also, I haven't had a lot of Japanese, but I do believe that the message would be even longer in that language. Maybe you should check your facts before you try to be funny. I was asking a serious question. Policemen in this country can obviously do whatever they please. So much for the constitutional 'freedom of religion'.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cogitoergodoleo said:
I read your disclaimer. You don't really believe that that comment of yours was eductional? And to answer your question: Yes, you can get all that on a bumper sticker. You can get even longer messages on bumper stickers. Also, I haven't had a lot of Japanese, but I do believe that the message would be even longer in that language. Maybe you should check your facts before you try to be funny. I was asking a serious question. Policemen in this country can obviously do whatever they please. So much for the constitutional 'freedom of religion'.
My response:

Whoa, take it easy. Your question was already expertly answered by contributor "dabear." All because the officer may have made a comment about the "content" of the sticker, doesn't mean that the officer gave your husband a ticket based upon that content. Apparently, the sticker(s) themselves, regardless of content, were the violation; e.g., not enough viewing area through the glass.

My comment about being "Japanese" was directed to the fact that our Asian friends are world reknown for their expertise in "miniaturization" - - that is, getting a lot into a small area. Not their language.

There. Now wasn't that educational?

IAAL

Last edited:
L

Lady Libertine

Educational

Refreshingly educational! Now class, what have we learned? Yes, we have the freedom to practice (or not practice) whatever religion we choose. Yes, we have the freedom of speech and the right to put bumper stickers on our BUMPERS! (Whoa, there's a concept!) No, we do not have the freedom to block the view of our car WINDOWS with BUMPER stickers. That just about covers today's lesson, don't you think?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My Karma just ran over your Dogma

The other day I went to the local religious book store, where I saw a 'HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS' bumper sticker. I bought it and put it on the back bumper of my car, and I'm really glad I did.
What an uplifting experience followed;

I was stopped at the light at a busy intersection, just lost in
thought about the Lord, and didn't notice that the light had changed.

That bumper sticker really worked! I found lots of people who love Jesus. Why, the guy behind me started to honk like crazy. He must REALLY love the lord because pretty soon, he leaned out his window and yelled, "Jesus Christ!!" as loud as he could. It was like a football game with him shouting, "GO JESUS CHRIST,GO!!!"

Everyone else started honking, too, so I leaned out my window and waved and smiled to all of those loving people. There must have been a guy from Florida back there because I could hear him yelling something about a sunny beach, and saw him waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air.

I asked my two kids what that meant. They kind of squirmed,
looked at each other, giggled and told me that it was the Hawaiian good luck sign. So, I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign back.

Several cars behind, a very nice black man stepped out of his car and yelled something. I couldn't hear him very well, but it sounded like, "Mother trucker," or "Mother's from there." Maybe he was from Ohio, too. He must really love the Lord. A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and were walking toward me. I bet they wanted to pray, but just then I noticed that the light had changed, and stepped on the gas.

And a good thing I did, because I was the only driver to get across the intersection. I looked back at them standing there.

I leaned way out the window, gave them a big smile and held up the Hawaiian good luck sign, as I drove away.

Praise the Lord for such wonderful folks!

JETX

Too much.... just too damn much!!! Can't hardly type this with my side hurting so much!!!!

L

Lady Libertine

Potential Suit

Halket, I think you have grounds to sue IAAL for financial remuneration for injuries sustained from his posting a joke so funny it made your side hurt. Should be an easy win for you--he's already admitted he's Liable.

I have a similar bump-her sticker on my car. It says "honk if you love attorneys!" No one has ever honked, but I have been rear-ended a couple of times...

~LL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">