• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunge ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hawk4528

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I received a ticket for 30 mph over the limit in Jan of 2009 which I was not guilty of but lived 5.5 hrs away in another state and was moving during the time when I shoud have went to court to dispute. I went ahead and paid it so my license would not be suspended. I am now being turned down for a job which I desprately need to support my family. Is there anyway to appeal this and get it off my record so I can feed my family?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Usually a guilty plea is the equivalent of being found guilty after a trial.

You pled guilty. The court/DMV will not be concerned with your personal reasons for pleading guilty. At this point the conviction is on your record and there's no going back.

Besides the fact that even if you could appeal, I would say that waiting nine months to do so would toss any motion to re-open the case out the window. Appeals can usually be entered for a period of time after a conviction - 30 to 90 days is probably most common.

To be certain, you should contact the Georgia DMV (or whatever they call it) and the court to find out for sure. I am basing my statements on my experience in the many jurisdictions I have worked in and currently work in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">