• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed to obey the instructions of an applicable official traffic control device

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brianstern12

let me start by saying I am 38 years old and have 0 tickets in my life. I drive for a living 60-70000 miles a year. I consider myself a safe, responsible, alert and aware driver.

Tonight around 9:45pm, I rounded a bend (moving right to left) and approached an intersection. I noticed a state trooper suv sitting off to the right with his parking lights on. I put on the brakes and eased through the intersection (did not stop). The trooper turned his lights on and pulled me over. I did not see the stop sign as I seen the trooper sitting there. I Was aware of his presence. Continued on the road (No one else was on the road).

I'll finish with this: he went easy on me as he could have given me points for blowing the stop sign. He gave me the proverbial get out of jail free card. But it's a $170.00 ticket. Again I have a perfect driving record up until tonight's incident. Should I contest the ticket? Can I win? Any advice or logic? Thanks.

FlyingRon

You don't appear to have any basis to contest the ticket. By your own admission you blew the stop sign. Pennsylvania magistrates aren't push overs usually.

Brianstern12

Ticket

Hi FlyingRon. Thanks for your reply. I didn't see the stop sign coming around a bend. I was the only car on a dark country road at night. I clearly saw the state trooper sitting there. I wonder how many times this same situation happened that night and frankly any given night at that stop sign when a trooper is sitting right there off to the right. I am always alert to officers and troopers on the roads. I saw his parking lights on. And looked in his direction to ensure all was well. I truly am a good citizen. I also have (had) a perfect driving record. I hair feel I was railroaded last night. I appreciate your reply. I think I may be fighting a losing battle.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Forget about your "perfect" driving record. It means little and won't allow you to win your case.

So if you didn't get charged with the stop sign violation what did you get charged with?

In any event, you got a break. People drive in the dark all the time and see signs - that's why cars are equipped with head lamps.

From what I can see you have no defense or justification. You screwed up so just accept it and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">