• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed to stop at a stop sign. But I did, and I need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TypeEss

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, I was coming home from picking up a prescription from a nearby drugstore at 12:58am. I was pulled over by an officer, and he asked if I knew what I did. I honestly did not do anything wrong, so I said no. He told me he saw me run a stop sign on a side street before I hopped onto the main road that he pulled me over on. I honestly didn't do such a thing as I am familiar with where the stop signs are so close to my home.

I think I should plead not guilty, but if the officer just says he saw me run a stop sign do I waive my right to traffic school in NY? Do you think I have any chance of justice?

Any advice/walthroughs, etc please!

Last edited:

A

Alanp

In MN I learned from an atty friend that you always plead not guilty to those small tickets if you show up you meet with a mediator and he always cuts the ticket by 25-100%. I have done that for 2 parking tickets, 1 obstructed lic plate ticket (that was 100%). I have told friends and they have done the same for speeding etc and they always get the moving violation tickets cut. I'm not sure if that's the case in NY but if you don't mind spending time in traffic court do it. You have nothing to loose worse case scenerio you loose and you pay the ticket plus the time spent in traffic court.

Last edited:
T

TypeEss

1 before this 12 months ago that I went to driving school for. It was for speeding, but I plead guilty in court and they worked in down to a seat belt violation. I worked the points off.

HomeGuru

TypeEss said:
1 before this 12 months ago that I went to driving school for. It was for speeding, but I plead guilty in court and they worked in down to a seat belt violation. I worked the points off.
**A: thanks. Now given your recent ticket and your history, who do you think the judge will believe? You or the police officer?

T

TypeEss

hmm..I'm not sure. But what I am gonna say is that when I stopped and looked both ways I went, and saw no lights coming. The officer who was on the other road that merged into mine had no headlights on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">