• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed to yield at stop sign and caused accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

geckahn

YOUR STATE NAME - New York

I recently failed to yield to a stop sign, causing a high speed accident. both cars were destroyed, and i and the woman driving the car that hit me, both were lucky to escape with our lives and be out of the hospital the next day. I am 17 years old and this accident ocured with about a week left in my 6 month probationary period left. i dont have any previous traffic violations on record. what i need to know is what the legal penalties for this event will be? (the woman has chosen not to sue i believe, so just wondering what will happen with the status of my licsense)

Oh, and i was issued only a single fail to yield ticket.

Last edited:

D

davelu99

Your penalties will be as follows:

1. You have to pay the ticket (and any points that may be added to your licence).

2. Your "probationary" period will be extended, probably until you're 21 (that's how most states do it).

Other than that, and the higher insurance rates, consider yourself VERY VERY VERY lucky!!!

J

johnny2

I would suggest learning how to use the bussy-poos......mass transit is going to be your friend for the next few years.

Increases in insurance rates will probably be so high, you wont be able to afford it.

So dont worry about driving again.

D

DRN

I hate to sound so pessimistic, but EXPECT to get sued. Once she talks to a lawyer, which she probably has already done, the odds are you, or your parents, will be sued.

Everyone sues everyone for anything and everything today. Especially in New York. Too many lawyers... they have to make a living, you know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">