• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paisleydazy

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this one..I'll try to keep it short...2 years ago I was pulled over for expired registration(had insurance),was issued a notice to appear in court, the car broke down, so I stopped driving all together but....I didn't appear in court. Now 2 years later it was time to renew my license and found $2000 in fines and my license suspended. I'm aware that I have to pay these fines but the DMV has explained that I must go directly to the court to take care of this. My question here is that I have been warned that it is likely that a warrant has been issued and I could go to jail. Someone else told me not to go to court unless I have ALL of the money to pay for the fines. I would gladly make arrangements with the court to pay but I don't want to show up only to go to jail. To me it would seem unlikely for something like this but I don't want to take any chances. Can someone please let me know if I have been misinformed? any advice is appreciated.:confused:

TYRIS

paisleydazy said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this one..I'll try to keep it short...2 years ago I was pulled over for expired registration(had insurance),was issued a notice to appear in court, the car broke down, so I stopped driving all together but....I didn't appear in court. Now 2 years later it was time to renew my license and found $2000 in fines and my license suspended. I'm aware that I have to pay these fines but the DMV has explained that I must go directly to the court to take care of this. My question here is that I have been warned that it is likely that a warrant has been issued and I could go to jail. Someone else told me not to go to court unless I have ALL of the money to pay for the fines. I would gladly make arrangements with the court to pay but I don't want to show up only to go to jail. To me it would seem unlikely for something like this but I don't want to take any chances. Can someone please let me know if I have been misinformed? any advice is appreciated.:confused:

-go to the local court house where you failed to appear. contact the traffic clerk and advise them that you missed your court date and have a failure to appear that you would like to take care of. the court should set you up with a new court date and clear the fta.

it will be up to the court, but from what i've seen, most of the courts only want the money and will allow a payment plan.

if you chose not to do this and you get pulled over, the likelyhood of you going to jail is pretty good.

Tyris

P

paisleydazy

Thanks for the info! I feel a little better about going down to court...I'll post the results for anyone who might be in a similar situation;)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

paisleydazy said:
Thanks for the info! I feel a little better about going down to court...I'll post the results for anyone who might be in a similar situation;)

My response:

Yes, please let us know how it went for you . . . after you get out of jail !

Failure to Appear
If you do not appear in court when required, the court can order any (or all) of the following actions:

Bail Forfeited.

Issuance of a warrant for your arrest.

Department of Motor Vehicles to suspend your driver's license.

A new violation (Failure to Appear - FTA) can be added to your case. The punishment for this violation can be a jail term of up to six months in jail and $1,000 fine.

Pursuant to section 1214.1 of the Penal Code, in addition to any other penalty, the court may impose an additional $250 assessment against any defendant who fails to appear in court for any proceeding.

IAAL

P

paisleydazy

My response to: I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:

My response:

Yes, please let us know how it went for you . . . after you get out of jail !

Failure to Appear
If you do not appear in court when required, the court can order any (or all) of the following actions:

Bail Forfeited.

Issuance of a warrant for your arrest.

Department of Motor Vehicles to suspend your driver's license.

A new violation (Failure to Appear - FTA) can be added to your case. The punishment for this violation can be a jail term of up to six months in jail and $1,000 fine.

Pursuant to section 1214.1 of the Penal Code, in addition to any other penalty, the court may impose an additional $250 assessment against any defendant who fails to appear in court for any proceeding.

IAAL
Ok....now I'm confused again....Am I just going to end up in jail?!!
I realize I screwed up but I think that would be a little drastic for having expired tags and showing up in court a little late...ok so 2 years is more than a little late but....at least I've haven't been driving in that time and I am willing to pay the entire fine. What would you suggest? Other than changing my identity and skipping town.....

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Oh, you've got to do better than merely "skip town." That won't help you.

I understand Brazil is quite beautiful this time of year.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">