• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silversurfer773

What is the name of your state? Ohio My nephew who is 21 but lives with me in Pennsylvania was citied in Ohio for a class1 misdemeanor. He was given a trial date but is trying to argue with me that he doesn't have to appear because the state of Ohio cannot cross the state line to issue an arrest warrant in a misdemeanor. I think he's wrong. Can anyone help?

poeto

silversurfer773 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio My nephew who is 21 but lives with me in Pennsylvania was citied in Ohio for a class1 misdemeanor. He was given a trial date but is trying to argue with me that he doesn't have to appear because the state of Ohio cannot cross the state line to issue an arrest warrant in a misdemeanor. I think he's wrong. Can anyone help?
You should consult with a lawyer - but at the very least Ohio will issue a bench warrant for arrest - which will have implications when ever he travels back to Ohio.

Also - the bench warrant for arrest will appear whenever PA does a search - e.g. if he commits a crime.

I would check with a lawyer though.

sukharev

naive

silversurfer773 said:
get him to go, he is naive to think this will just go away. Pay for him if you have to, but this is one thing he doesn't want to miss. At 21 he probably thinks he is smart and he found a way to beat the system, but he is just being foolish. Next picture he will shoot would be a mug shot of himself.

This does not mean he should not defend himself or get a lawyer. Was the misdemeanor speeding? If yes, then there are plenty of defense strategies. Even if found guilty, he would just loose some money, and not sleep wondering if Ohio cops are gonna get him on day. If money is an issue, get over it and quick.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

silversurfer773 said:

My response:

Here's the magic word for the day: "Extradition"

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">