• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to complete traffic school and pay fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Girlfriend got a red light ticket back in April. On the last day to appear, she went into court right before closing and the judge allowed her to take traffic school and knocked the fine down from $450 to $250 and gave her 90 days to do it.

Well 90 days is up Tuesday (11/30). Despite my paying for the online traffic school course, she hasn't done it yet and has $00 saved for the fine. Since I seriously doubt in the remaining time she can finish the online course AND get the completion certificate in the mail not to mention come up with $250, if/when she appears in court on Tuesday, what can she expect? More time to pay (IMO a waste of time, I love her but she's irresponsible), a suspended license, or possibly jail time (I don't think this is possible if she appears though)?

I am NOT going to pay her fine or take the test for her since I'm not the idiot who drive through a red light completely oblivious to it while yakking away on a cell phone. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions or should I tell her to face the consequences for being irresponsible?

aldaron

Your girl friend is going to need a bus pass for xmas. Only the judge knows what will happen. He cut her some slack and she threw her middle finger at him.

I_Got_Banned

Let me start by saying:

:cool: :p This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!!!! :p :cool:

Moving along...
Since I seriously doubt in the remaining time she can finish the online course AND get the completion certificate in the mail...
Dave, the traffic school completion certificate can be faxed to the court (by the school)... So that should not be an issue... Her main issue will be convincing the court to give her another extension for payment of the fine.

if/when she appears in court on Tuesday, what can she expect? More time to pay ...
I've seen it happen... Question is did she sign an agreement with the court to make payments or did they simply tell her to pay in full when she has it? (Some courts will not accept partial/monthly payment... others will)

(See this form: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/documents/tr310.pdf)

a suspended license...
Not immediately... Most of the time, it would take 10 days (past the due date) before a payment is considered late at which time the hold is placed and the DMV is notified.

or possibly jail time (I don't think this is possible if she appears though)?
Not a chance... As CC would say, the court doesn't want you in jail, they want your money... She should be aware of the fact that an FTP will almost surely triple that $250... :eek:

Any suggestions or should I tell her to face the consequences for being irresponsible?
Well, with all due respect, you've already accepted some sort of responsibility by making this inquiry on her behalf... ;) ... I say take it a step further and lend her the money (but have her take the course/online test)... She can pay you back with favors (if you know what I mean)... :D

Last edited:
Yea, why you writing this post instead of your girlfriend?? Why not pay for her fine as her xmas gift & attend traffic school for her too? And then later, when she gets another ticket, do the same? She sounds like she is living in her own little bubble....don't worry though ; all bubbles burst sometime.

davew128

Yea, why you writing this post instead of your girlfriend?? Why not pay for her fine as her xmas gift & attend traffic school for her too? And then later, when she gets another ticket, do the same? She sounds like she is living in her own little bubble....don't worry though ; all bubbles burst sometime.
Don't disagree with you but I DID pay her last ticket and well aside from being of the opinion she needs to take responsibility for her own screwups, she's had since April to deal with this. Moreover I don't have the extra disposable cash to deal with covering up for her even if I was so inclined. This isn't like dealing with my own ticket where I would MAKE sure I got it done and paid.

davew128

:cool: :p This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!!!! :p :cool:
LOL I saw the picture. Completely oblivious to the red light. As was as if she stopped and then proceeded through as if it were a stop sign and then the facial photo with her cell phone up to her mouth.

Dave, the traffic school completion certificate can be faxed to the court (by the school)... So that should not be an issue... Her main issue will be convincing the court to give her another extension for payment of the fine.

I've seen it happen... Question is did she sign an agreement with the court to make payments or did they simply tell her to pay in full when she has it? (Some courts will not accept partial/monthly payment... others will)
Thats not the form. She has something called the "Conveleope Arraignment Minute Order". States $250 amount due on or before 11/30/2010 and attend TS8. Pay fine, file proof or appear if unable to comply.

Well, with all due respect, you've already accepted some sort of responsibility by making this inquiry on her behalf... ;) ... I say take it a step further and lend her the money (but have her take the course/online test)... She can pay you back with favors (if you know what I mean)... :D
LMAO, I paid her last ticket and right now I couldn't pay it even if I wanted to. We tax guys don't get paid all the big bucks in the fall, only in the spring and summer. ;)

Last edited:
Don't disagree with you but I DID pay her last ticket and well aside from being of the opinion she needs to take responsibility for her own screwups, she's had since April to deal with this. Moreover I don't have the extra disposable cash to deal with covering up for her even if I was so inclined. This isn't like dealing with my own ticket where I would MAKE sure I got it done and paid.
hey, you could sell a kidney ! That should give you enough $$ for a year of her driving habits, eh?? lol. Ahhh, just tell her you paid it & took care of everything. Then get you camcorder ready lol You are to nice a guy

davew128

So my GF got her traffic school done online Monday night, picked up the certificate Tuesday afternoon, went straight to the courthouse where the judge allowed her an additional 60 days to now complete 32 hours of community service in lieu of the $250 fine she originally had. First extended time in traffic court in San Diego and the experience was like an episode of Night Court with Judge Harry T. Stone doing whatever he could to move things along, and outright dismissing a lot of stuff to move the line along. Bizarre. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">