• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to control speed to avoid collison

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike17068

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was driving the speed limit and was following at what i thought to be a safe distance away. i was driving on a highway and all of a sudden traffic came to a complete stop. i didnt have enough time to stop and rear-ended an suv.
the police were on the scence within 5 minutes. after everything was over i recieved a ticket for Failure to control speed to avoid collison for 120 dollars. i was just wonderig how i could get a ticket for something that the officer didnt see. i am going to go to court for the ticket becasue well it doesnt hurt to plead innocent and hope for PBJ.
my question is doesnt the officer have to witness it.
i think i should win at court considering there are no witnesses its just my word,
is there any good ways to get out of this

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

The Occultist

If you didn't have time to stop, then it's obvious you weren't driving at an appropriate speed to control your vehicle. Your story is admission of guilt, and if you said any version of that story to the officer, he had every right to give you that citation. The officer does NOT need to witness the event to be able to issue such a ticket. That seems to be the standard citation for those who collide into somebody from behind as of late. I don't think you'll be getting out of this one.

Litigation!

mike17068 said:

I was driving the speed limit and was following at what i thought to be a safe distance away. i was driving on a highway and all of a sudden traffic came to a complete stop. i didnt have enough time to stop and rear-ended an suv.
the police were on the scence within 5 minutes. after everything was over i recieved a ticket for Failure to control speed to avoid collison for 120 dollars. i was just wonderig how i could get a ticket for something that the officer didnt see. i am going to go to court for the ticket becasue well it doesnt hurt to plead innocent and hope for PBJ.
i think i should win at court considering there are no witnesses its just my word,

thanks

My response:

"at what i thought to be a safe distance" - - Gee, I guess you "thought" wrong.

"my question is doesnt the officer have to witness it." - - Gee, the Officer didn't see that you had rear-ended the vehicle in front of yours?

You're in deep doo-doo.

IAAL

Y

ylen13

get a lawyer and fight the ticket and laught at all this cops that say you will lose. In future get your self prepaidlegal(google to see what's) that way you can talk to real lawyer when you got question and asking for cops opinion(most of people that regulars here are cops)

Litigation!

ylen13 said:
get a lawyer and fight the ticket and laught at all this cops that say you will lose. In future get your self prepaidlegal(google to see what's) that way you can talk to real lawyer when you got question and asking for cops opinion(most of people that regulars here are cops)

My response:

Yea, and we also know how to spell and construct proper sentences, too!

In other words, pal, we're not foreigners or functional illiterates - - much like yourself!

IAAL

Shay-Pari'e

mike17068 said:

Your post cracked me up. Are you under the belief that the police should follow you and watch you? The witness is the person whose car you ran into. You do realize they are a witness, right?

Shay-Pari'e

ylen13 said:
OMG, what a idiot you are.

Litigation!

My response:

Also, our writer has never heard of "circumstantial evidence," or it's first cousin, "Res Ipsa Loquitur." As a matter of fact, I don't think "ylen13" has either.

IAAL

Y

ylen13

ignore all of this cops and talk to a real lawyer, if you want you can get your self prepaid legal for $26 a month and consult lawyer unlimited amount of time for free

Shay-Pari'e

ylen13 said:
ignore all of this cops and talk to a real lawyer, if you want you can get your self prepaid legal for $26 a month and consult lawyer unlimited amount of time for free
I am not a cop, and IAAL is a lawyer. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">