• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to initially obtain license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrmeier

What is the name of your state?State: Washington
Offense: RCW 46.16.010.F (not sure what the ".F" means)

I am a Canadian with a Commercial Driver's License. I work (p/t) for a local farmer. He imported a vehicle (a diesel, 3 axle dump truck) from Europe and needed it driven from the Port of Tacoma to his farm just across the border in B.C. He arranged for insurance and a temporary operating permit here in B.C.

Since I know that ignorance is not an excuse, we stopped at the Bow Hill weight station on the way down to Tacoma to make sure we had all the necessary paperwork to drive the vehicle back with. The scale officer initially explained that we needed a trip permit and a fuel permit for the State of Washington, as well as a trip logbook. We had the weight of the vehicle as 11,450kg (about 25,200 lbs) as weighed by the shipping company that brought it over. He conferred with the other workers at the scale, as well as a State Trooper who happened to be there. He then indicated that because the vehicle weighed less than 26,001 lbs, and because we were farmers driving a farm vehicle, we required neither the trip permit, nor the fuel permit. He also said that the 100 air mile limit is extended to 150 miles for farmers and therefore I also did not require a logbook.

In B.C., commercial vehicles have special exemptions when they are used as a farm vehicle - such as that they are licensed by their empty weight (rather than their maximum licensed capacity). Given this, I took the scale officer at his word and proceeded.

We picked up the truck at the Port of Tacoma and headed home. Traveling on the I5 we had to cross the weigh scale at Stanwood. The officer their spent considerable time with us (and on the phone to 2 or more co-workers) only to determine that we qualified for no exemptions, required both permits and therefore he issued me this citation.

Having never before received a mandatory court appearance, what should I expect at court? I am clearly guilty of not purchasing the permits in advance (I have done so now), however this is only the case because of some sort of miscommunication at the scale earlier in the day. Do I have any recourse in this matter? If convicted, what pentalties do I face (beyond the minimum $330 fine)?

A

absconder

Did you get the name of the officer who said it was ok? If you did 99% of officers are honest and maybe he can help you out? You know the weigh station so .......................maybe hell write a letter for you. If he made a mistake Im sure hell own up to it, be courteous when you talk to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">