• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Maintain Lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justine41489

I am in the state of Ga.
Recently a truck pulled out infront of me & I slammed on brakes not to hit it and my car was slung in the ditch. The truck was trying to cross the intersection I was driving and Im unsure if he ran the stop sign he was at or he just didnt see me coming over the hill. A little damage done to my car and I was sent to the er because I am 5 months pregnant (Thank God we are ok) I was issued a failure to maintain lane ticket via mail. I should goto court and appeal the ticket because I was ran off the road correct?

OHRoadwarrior

Do you have any proof to show the judge? Otherwise the court might assume you had "Jesus take the wheel" syndrome. You do bear a responsibility to operate your vehicle in a safe, prudent manner. Prove that you did. You might try to get the charge reduced to a non moving violation, by talking to the prosecutor.

justine41489

I have the driver exchange report which lists myself & the driver that ran me off the road. I will be picking up the actual police report on monday. I had to pay almost $300 to get my car out of the tow shop & now this ticket..Seems pretty harsh when there was another party involved. :(

OHRoadwarrior

Was the other driver cited for anything? Was the report just a reiteration of what you claimed or does it have supporting substance? Let us know. You have a basic legal responsibility to anticipate a vehicle entering the intersection from a side road also. The officer, upon review must have felt your reaction did not meet this burden. Frankly, from the way you describe it, I do also. The vehicle would not have slid off the road, if you had released the brakes and steered it or not braked it so hard.

Last edited:

justine41489

Was the other driver cited for anything? Was the report just a reiteration of what you claimed or does it have supporting substance? Let us know.
I am not sure if he was or not. The report I have is just a list of the cars and people that were involved in the accident. It was mailed to me along with my citation.

Also, when the officer asked me which wrecker service I wanted to use I told him the name of my dads company which was a couple miles away. Instead he used a company 50 miles away thats why it was nearly 300 to get.. ERGH:mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">