• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to obey to an officer. criminal traffic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charles480PHX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Scottsdale, az

first off
havent been pulled over in 8+ yrs (minor ticket)
never been arrested

I was making a LEFT turn at a busy intersection, I was following a cab to a hotel location. the cab was half way out in the median and went through the yellow/red light. I went right behind it as we both made a left. i went through the yellow/red light at maybe 15 mph.

cop was on the street that I turning onto and he turns on his lights. I personally didnt think the police car lights were for myself. so I turned right into the parking lot and then made my next left to the hotel. (the intersection was 200 yards from the hotel parking lot)

well the cop followed me and thought I was trying to run etc. gave me the full search. I was arrested and brought to the city jail for failure to obey an officer. I know I was polite and did as the officer states (my father is an MP)

I was arrested in the parking lot where I was going to be parking...

charged with running red light-
failure to obey an officer (criminal traffic)

I have no idea how to handle this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt feel I was at fault when it happened but as I replay this event in my head I would have done it 100% different.

1. do I just plead guilty?
2. get a lawyer and hope for the best
3. try to defend on my own?
4. can someone plead not guilty to just one charge? or would that throw off my case? I dont think I failed to obey an officer

Im not a criminal, I just made a bad decision and not sure what to do. and if Im both guilty what can expect as far as fines and other things?

thanks

Last edited:

justalayman

cop was on the street that I turning onto and he turns on his lights. I personally didnt think the police car lights were for myself. so I turned right into the parking lot and then made my next left to the hotel. (the intersection was 200 yards from the hotel parking lot)
at what point did you realize he was following you and you should have stopped?

charged with running red light-
failure to obey an officer (criminal traffic)
do you have the code sections listed. One involving failure to obey is quite serious. Just like to be sure if possible.

I have no idea how to handle this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt feel I was at fault when it happened but as I replay this event in my head I would have done it 100% different.
Not at fault? Was the light red when you actually entered the intersection? Did you somehow not notice the officer following you with his lights on?

charles480PHX

at what point did you realize he was following you and you should have stopped?

do you have the code sections listed. One involving failure to obey is quite serious. Just like to be sure if possible.

Not at fault? Was the light red when you actually entered the intersection? Did you somehow not notice the officer following you with his lights on?
1. I realized they were follwong me when I was in the paking lot (the hotel) I stopped then. 200 yards from intersection
2. section 28-645 A3a
3. my car was over the line when it was red and I followed the cab. I didnt notice the police lights were for me.
4. any idea on how serious?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">