• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to obey a police officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LillianAMS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was cited for speeding last October in Ft. Worth, going 76 in a 60. This was my first ticket in 15yr. I was in the left lane of a major 8-lane interstate. The cruiser was parked on the left shoulder when I passed him. When his lights came on behind me I immediately signalled that I was pulling off to the right, which I thought was standard. I did so slowly and safely without interfering in the light traffic around me. The officer never mentioned any violation but the speeding. Reading the ticket multiple times, I never realized there was another violation. I don't live in Ft Worth (200mi away) and handled it by correspondence. I got the speeding ticket dismissed with driver safety class and never thought about it again. Then last week I got a notice in the mail of a warrant for my arrest for ignoring the charge of "failure to obey a police officer." A court clerk read me the original ticket over the phone. All it said on the citation line was "76 in a 60; pull to left." Apparently I was supposed to intuit somehow that he was psychically commanding me to go left, and I disobeyed him by going right. The fine is ~$250 + $50 for going to warrant, but I'd pay twice that to be vindicated. I've never had a warrant issued for me and it's freaking me out. Bottom line: how big a deal is "failure to obey," and how should I handle it?

The Occultist

You will likely need to go turn yourself in (make sure to bring enough money with you to post bail). It's possible that a lawyer might be able to handle this so you don't have to go in; call attorneys local to the prosecuting court to see if they can offer any insight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">