• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to obey sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pikon84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Should I fight this traffic failure in court?

I was on a 2 lane road road at a stop sign, maybe 6 cars ahead of me, i was on the left lane.
As I approach the stop sign, there was a car on the left at the stop intersection and a cop across the other intersection (ahead). The police signal me to go, so I went straight ahead to go to my destination. As I was going I saw the cop pulled a U-Turn and pulled me over. I didnt know why until he said that I failed to obey the street sign. I told the officer what street sign, he said left turn only. Ofcourse I told him I didnt see it in a nice way ofcourse. But anyway, after I got the ticket I went back to the stop sign.

Now here is the thing, the only sign that said that you can only make a left turn was on the paved road, the lane that I was on. The only reason why I didnt see the sign was because there were many cars on that lane, so basically the cars were covering to paved sign "LEFT TURN ONLY". By the way this was a busy street.

Should I fight this and say that there were no other sign than the road, but the cars were covering it. Shouldnt the lane also be a solid line like other lanes that are left turn only and have post signs saying left turn only. There were no posting signs of left turn only, other than the paved road.

1) So basically i didnt see the sign because the other cars were on top of the paved sign.
2) I saw the cop way ahead of time
3) Even tho I saw the cop right in front of me, I still went straight on a left turn only. Doesnt that shows that I didnt know that it was a left turn only and that they should put more signs. I never drove around this area by the way.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hey There

pikon84

Google: Manual of Traffic Signs
Click on R3-5L - Left Turn Only - gif / pdf / layout / MUTCD

I haven't checked the websites this Google search window brings up but you may find what you're looking for here
For left hand turn only lanes is a sign necessary?

That said a driver in CA. is entitled to a copy of the officer's notes, a copy of a video if one was taken, and a copy of the front and back of his ticket. This is a simple informal written request made by the driver and mailed certified, return receipt by a FRIEND to the D.A. AND to the citing officer. A form can be found at the website Help! I Got A Ticket! with a cover letter to the D.A. and a proof of service form that the friend has mailed the COPIES to the D.A. (The driver keeps the originals for His records. (The form for the D.A. can be slightly modified to send to the citing officer.)
Another option is to check the library for a book published by NOLO on contesting traffic tickets in CA. which has forms in the back of the book to copy.
A continuance can be requested by phone from a court clerk BEFORE Arraignment.
A Trial by Declaration can be submitted by the driver explaining why his case should be dismissed. One form explains how to submit this, and the other form is for the driver to fill out. If the judge rules against the driver, the driver can request a new trial with a different judge if done within 20 days.
Forms for this can be obtained from a court clerk, from the book, or by typing in Trial by Declaration in the Google search window.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">