• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to obey Traffic Signal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blakeh1301

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)- Michigan

I was recently given a ticket for "failure to obey traffic signal"

1. it was extremely snowy outside
2. i was goin 27 in a 45 coming down a hill

When approaching the light i see two things.
1. a police officer to the left of me waiting to go Southbound (i was going eastbound).

2. the light was green.

Upon coming to the light it turned yellow when i was about 50 yards away from the white line i was to stop at.

I applied my breaks but considering the slant i was coming down as well as the conditions of the road my vehicles breaks locked up and started to slide.

I let off the break and continued through the traffic light.
When i was half way through the intersection(was a pretty large intersection) the light turned red.

1. there is no way i could have stopped without being in the middle of the intersection
2. proceeding through the light was yellow up until the point where i was about to pass under the light(already passed the white line and in the middle of the intersection)

This ticket will give me 2 points as well as cost me 140 dollars.
I DO NOT think it is deserved but considering you are the experts i figured i would ask you guys instead :)

i plan on taking this to a magistrate and pleading my case with her/him.

Thank you in advance!
-Blake

Edit: considering i was recently diagnosed with PTSD im not sure if i could bring that up as another reason other then the fact that what i did was a safer bet then stopping in the middle of oncoming traffic as to why i proceeded through the yellow light.

I really just cant afford this ticket nor the points that come along with it. :(

Last edited:

The Occultist

Out of curiosity, what kind of transmission were you using? And, regardless of the answer to that question, what gear were you in?

More relevant, what is the statute number you are being charged with?

While we wait for that information, let me give you advice that you do not want to hear: find a traffic attorney. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable results (you can read this is getting a dismissal, or some sort of plea bargain where you may end up with a higher fine but end up with less/no points attached). While this may not seem ideal at first, due to the cost of the attorney and the fact that you may still have to pay [higher] fines, do note that this will help you more in the long run considering the potential your insurance premium has for being increased. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

racer72

1. there is no way i could have stopped without being in the middle of the intersection
You were driving too fast for the conditions. A vehicle travelling 27 mph should be able to come to a complete stop in about 55 feet. 50 yards should have been more than enough.

2. proceeding through the light was yellow up until the point where i was about to pass under the light(already passed the white line and in the middle of the intersection)
Your problem is the way the law is written. You were likely cited for 257.612(1)(b).

Michigan statutes said:
(b) If the signal exhibits a steady yellow indication, vehicular traffic facing the signal shall stop before entering the nearest crosswalk at the intersection or at a limit line when marked, but if the stop cannot be made in safety, a vehicle may be driven cautiously through the intersection.
All the officer has to do is convince the judge that you had plenty of time to stop safely. Forget using the speed limit as an excuse, the safe speed limit for "extremely snowy conditions" is generally less than 27 mph.

considering i was recently diagnosed with PTSD im not sure if i could bring that up as another reason other then the fact that what i did was a safer bet then stopping in the middle of oncoming traffic as to why i proceeded through the yellow light.
Irrelevant. If this affects your ability to drive, quit driving.

I really just cant afford this ticket nor the points that come along with it.
Sell you car and buy a bus pass then. Part of the privelige of driving is called personal responsibility. This means you accept all the risks and costs associated with operating a motor vehicle. If you can't afford these risks and costs, you can't afford to drive.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Upon coming to the light it turned yellow when i was about 50 yards away from the white line i was to stop at.
If it turned yellow when you were about 50 yards away, then it probably should have been red well before you entered the intersection.

When i was half way through the intersection(was a pretty large intersection) the light turned red.
If you were half way through the intersection then how do you know when it turned red???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">