• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to report an accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Montanadriver

Last spring on my home from work I was driving on a State Hwy. I was even doing the speed limit (65 mph). I came over a hill and saw a cow moving on the road about 100' ahead. I slowed and swerved around it but I still managed to hit it on the right fender. I got out and checked the car. It was still drivable. I then went to see the cow. It was alive and was quite angry at me. I went on home and reported the damage to my Ins. agent the next morning. He replied on Mon. that he needed a police report. So I called the State Hwy Patrol. By the end of the next week I received a ticket for "failure to report an accident".
They say I didn't report the accident in a "timely manner". I plead "not guilty" and requested a trial by Judge. I pointed out to the PA that the law said I had 10 days to file a report. He admitted that he hadn't noticed that law. He also said that it did seem ambiguous. So I figured it would get dropped.
Wrong, I have a court date this Thur.. Is there a "motion to dismiss" or something else that I should file?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">