• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to show Insurance card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zfrost

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Today I got pulled over for obstruction of view in my front window. I had some snow on the passenger side. Anyway that I admit to it was my fault. I should of cleaned it off better. However I did not have my Insurance card on me at the time. I left it at home, I just got my new one. Anyway I got a ticket for it to appear in court. Now Jersey just passed a law having to do with $250 court fees. The officer said I have to apear in court to show my Insurance card. No problem there but I am curious on that kind of fine i'm looking at. As far as I know the $250 court fee is only if i'm trying to plea down witch i'm not. Any advise would be great so I know what to be instore for. A few people told me I just have to show my insurance card and thats it.

qcxlvr1

If its the same way as NY (and I'm assuming it is), then you simply produce a letter from your insurance carrier stating that you had coverage at the time you were issued the summons. You present this to the clerk in person or by mail and the summons is dismissed.

Zfrost

I called and they said to call back tommrow because its not in the system yet. The clerk didn't want to tell me anything about it yet. I looked up the tickets and things on the website given on the ticket and it says.

Failure to possess documents. Limited to driver's license or
registration. (Failure to possess insurance identification card is NOT
payable.) Note: If violation is for more than one offense involving
license or registration, they are separate offenses and the payable
amount indicated is for each offense)
$180

so it says for insurance not payable. However i'm required to go to court. Like i said I just don;t want to get slapped with fines for no reason. I mean i'm stairing at my insurance card right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">