• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to stop at a stop sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bynextfall

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I was on my way to work when i came to a stop sign. i stopped at the stop sign(all wheels came to a complete stop). i looked both ways for traffic then proceeded.. a police officer turned his lights on (he came out of nowhere(no parking lights or anything)and pulled me over. he said i failed to stop at the stop sign..then fined me for not having mine or my passengers seatbelt on. i pleaded not guilty for this because i wasnt..i was guilty for the seatbelts(i did not have it on)and im ok with that..is there anything i can do to represent myself and win my case

Bravo8

Plead not guily and request a hearing. Go to court and be professional. Have a well thought out defense. Simply saying, "I stopped." isn't going to work. The officer will testify under oath that he observed your vehicle travel through the stop sign without stopping.

Unless you can show that the sign is not properly posted, you're pretty much SOL.

You could also talk to the officer before the trial, and ask fopr a plea to a lesser charge.....like Section 3111(a) - Obedience to Traffic Control Devices. While the fine is the same, 3111(a) is no points, as opposed to the 3 points for the stop sign.

BTW........the officer isn't require to have any lights on.......don't believe everything you hear.

B

bynextfall

pennsylvania, but this officer is doing this to everyone...i stopped for a stop sign but because the cop feels like giving me a ticket he could where is the public justice..the tax payers justice..this is completely crap...so why the F*&k should i even drive its to exspensive to be a law abiding citizen

Bravo8

Forgive my skepticism....but I don't believe you. No offense intended, but have you any ideas how many times I have heard this same old story? Too many times to count. And the vast majority of the times, I know were absolute BS.

I find it hard to believe the officer is just randomly handing out citations to whom ever he pleases without cause. If that is the case, then you need to speak with his supervisors.

If you are lying, then I would be very careful. What you are accusing the officer of is very serious. If it's bogus, you may face civil and criminal penalties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">