• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Stop at Stop Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Henry On

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Ordinance: 331.19

About a week ago, I was on my way home from a Farro Photography, and I see a cop a couple of meters ahead of me on the other side of the road. So after slowing down at the stop sign, I came to a stop, the car in front of me stopped then continued, then I made my stop and continued forward. After passing the cop, I stopped at the next stop sign and then he pulled me over. He stated that I did not stop long enough at the first stop sign and I since it was a school zone (at 3.53 p.m.) he gave me a ticket. I just want to know if their is anything I can do or say to get this ticket dismissed, because I'd hate to have a ticket on my record for not stopping at a stop sign for one second longer. Also speed was not a problem, and road condition were dry, clear, no adverse weather, moderate traffic, and a sunny day. I have court tomorrow, so any advice would be welcomed.

Last edited:

The Occultist

Except when directed to proceed by a law enforcement officer, every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After having stopped, the driver shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways.
I don't see anything in there about minimum time for remaining stopped, just that you come to a complete stop. Based solely on what you've written, it does not appear that you have violated this ordinance.

You Are Guilty

I don't see anything in there about minimum time for remaining stopped, just that you come to a complete stop. Based solely on what you've written, it does not appear that you have violated this ordinance.
Get the officer to admit that you stopped, but just "not long enough", then when he's off the stand, turn to the judge (with a copy of the statute in hand) and request an immediate dismissal based on the fact that there is no requirement beyond just "stopping" - i.e. no rule about "staying stopped".

That's assuming the officer shows for court, of course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">