• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to stop at traffic light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmor

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I received a ticket for failure to stop at a traffic light while red. I was told by the police officer that I just tapped my brakes at the light and proceeded through. I feel that the definition of a complete stop is really what is in question. I feel that I looked both directions and came to a stop but may have not paused long enough enough for the officer to feel that I came to a complete stop.
Should I just pay the $105 fine or can I claim not quilty and stand a change to beat this charge?

racer72

Another way to put it. Some guy is beating you with a baseball bat. Would you like him to stop or just slow down enough to see what he is doing?

FlyingRon

Looking isn't enough. Braking isn't enough.

Chapter 8 of the Kansas code (and this is pretty much true anywhere in the US)

8-1471. "Stop" when required, defined. "Stop" when required means complete cessation from movement.

This means that not only do your tires have to stop turning, but the vehicle body needs to come to rest as well.

Last edited:

Hey There

Ball is in your court

4-13-08
tmor
Should I just pay the $105 fine or can I claim not quilty and stand a change to beat this charge?
A driver cited for a traffic violation can enter a not guilty plea.
By pleading not guilty all the driver is saying IS that the court must either prove the charges against him or dismiss the case.

I received a ticket for failure to stop at a traffic light while red.
I looked both directions and came to a stop .
You were at the intersection when the light was Red.
When did the Green Light come on?

Fighting a red light ticket typed in the Google Search Window
brings up sites for contesting this violation in court.

There also is the option of Traffic School to remove points from a driving licence.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">