• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to stop and yield

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VAdriver

What is the name of your state? VA

I need to decide in the next day or so if I should pay my fine or go before the judge. I have a four point citation for failing to stop and yield while entering a highway from a private driveway.

The accident took place in the eastbound lanes of a divided highway in front of our home. The posted speed limit is 35 MPH.

My story is that I did stop at the end of my driveway and wait until the eastbound travel lanes were clear. There were no cars visible as I began backing into the travel lanes. I have a large van (Pontiac Montana) and it takes approximately 4-5 seconds to back out. While backing, I have perhaps 1-2 seconds of partial blind spots when I am unable to maintain a look out. While I was backing out, a car came out of "nowhere" (presumably from an intersecting highway, traveling at a high rate of speed). There was an inadequate attempt on the part of the other driver to stop and avoid the collision; no sound of squealing tires or brakes, no skid marks, no horn. My van was hit from behind by the other vehicle. Since I was still in reverse going approximately 3-5 MPH, this is not considered a rear-ender and the other driver was not cited. There are no witnesses. Opinions please.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
VAdriver said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I need to decide in the next day or so if I should pay my fine or go before the judge. I have a four point citation for failing to stop and yield while entering a highway from a private driveway.

The accident took place in the eastbound lanes of a divided highway in front of our home. The posted speed limit is 35 MPH.

My story is that I did stop at the end of my driveway and wait until the eastbound travel lanes were clear. There were no cars visible as I began backing into the travel lanes. I have a large van (Pontiac Montana) and it takes approximately 4-5 seconds to back out. While backing, I have perhaps 1-2 seconds of partial blind spots when I am unable to maintain a look out. While I was backing out, a car came out of "nowhere" (presumably from an intersecting highway, traveling at a high rate of speed). There was an inadequate attempt on the part of the other driver to stop and avoid the collision; no sound of squealing tires or brakes, no skid marks, no horn. My van was hit from behind by the other vehicle. Since I was still in reverse going approximately 3-5 MPH, this is not considered a rear-ender and the other driver was not cited. There are no witnesses. Opinions please.
You caused the accident. I wouldn't suggest just paying it - you should try to get a point reduction from the judge, if possible. Not likely to happen, but it can't hurt to try.

VAdriver

Thanks!

Hey Zigner,

Thanks for your response. I have indeed decided to go before the judge. Our insurance agent has informed us that our auto insurance rate will go up $500 per year for the next three years due to this accident, since I was issued the ticket. My plan is to take the VA online driving course prior to my court date and hope for the best.

VAdriver

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">